BullGuard Limited (“BullGuard”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Scope of this policy
This policy provides an overview of the privacy practices exercised by BullGuard in relation to your use of its website at www.bullguard.com (the “site”) and its products and services, unless any terms and conditions under which products or services are provided to you indicate otherwise.
Please take the time to read this policy carefully and to ensure that you understand BullGuard’s views and practices regarding your personal information and how it will be treated. If you require further clarification or guidance on any point you are invited to Contact Us with your questions.
By visiting the site or using any of BullGuard’s products or services you are deemed to accept and consent to the practices described in this policy.
Information BullGuard may collect
BullGuard may collect and process the following data about you:
- - Information you provide. You may give BullGuard information about yourself by filling in forms on the site or by corresponding with BullGuard by phone, e-mail, chat or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register and use a BullGuard account, purchase and manage products, use the help centre or technical support centre, participate in forums or other social media functions on the site and if you report a problem with the BullGuard site or a product. The information you provide may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number and financial and credit card information.
- - Information BullGuard collects about you. When you visit the site or use its products BullGuard may automatically collect the following information:
- - technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, devices used or which connect to your network from time to time, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- - information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
- - Information BullGuard receives from other sources. BullGuard works closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners and sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
The information that BullGuard collects and processes about you as described above falls into two broad categories: Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”)
which is information that can be used to identify you as an individual and Non-Personally Identifiable Information (“NPII”)
which is information that cannot be used to identify you as an individual. In general, information of the type listed under the headings “Information you provide” and “Information BullGuard receives from other sources” will be PII whilst “Information BullGuard collects about you” will be NPII. Where “Information BullGuard collects about you” contains any PII BullGuard will anonymise the information for statistical and analytics purposes. With the exception of your IP address, which BullGuard will link to your BullGuard account for the purpose of identifying your geographic location, BullGuard never correlates NPII with PII that it holds.
Additional collection of NPII in respect of Mobile Products
When you download the BullGuard mobile security and antivirus product and install it on your mobile device, BullGuard collects further Non-Personally Identifiable Information (NPII). During the mobile product download and installation process BullGuard collects NPII using the Google Analytics Software Development Kit (the Analytics SDK). The Analytics SDK allows BullGuard to measure user interactions with its mobile products by collecting the electronic “pings” emitted by a device each time it lands on a different page during the download and installation process. BullGuard collects data about the total number of devices landing on each page which it can break down to show statistical data for the different device types and languages used. The Analytics SDK is not used by BullGuard to track the usage path for individual devices and cannot be linked by BullGuard to any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that it holds on any individual.
If you do not wish BullGuard to collect additional NPII please refrain from downloading and installing BullGuard mobile products.
Uses made of the information
BullGuard uses information about you in the following ways:
- - PII. BullGuard will use this information:
- - to carry out obligations arising from any contracts entered into with you and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request;
- - to provide you with information about other BullGuard products and services that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about and to tell you about special offers;
- - to provide you with reminders and renewal notifications relating to the BullGuard products and services that you use;
- - to notify you about changes to BullGuard’s services or terms;
- - to ensure that content from the site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- - to allow you to participate in interactive features of BullGuard’s service, when you choose to do so;
- - to deliver relevant advertising to you.
- - NPII. BullGuard will use this information to test, develop and improve its products and to produce analytical, statistical and tracking data that will help it:
Disclosure of your information
- - to understand how the site is accessed and used;
- - to administer the site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- - to improve the site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for users;
- as part of BullGuard’s efforts to keep the site safe and secure;
- - to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising served to users of the site and to target relevant advertising to users by demographic.
- - BullGuard uses the additional NPII collected during downloading of mobile products to identify general user trends which can help it to ensure that the download and installation process for its mobile products is as efficient as possible, quickly identify the existence of any technical fault preventing users from downloading and/or installing mobile products.
BullGuard may share your personal information with any member of its group, which means its subsidiaries, its ultimate holding company and that company’s subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
BullGuard may also share your information with selected third parties including:
- - Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract BullGuard or a member of its group enters into with them or you.
- - Analytics and search engine providers that assist BullGuard in the improvement and optimisation of the site.
- - Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of BullGuard entering into a contract with you.
BullGuard may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- - In the event that BullGuard sells or buys any business or assets, in which case BullGuard may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- - If BullGuard Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by BullGuard about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- - If BullGuard is under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply its terms and conditions and other agreements entered into with you or to protect the rights, property, or safety of BullGuard Limited and its staff, BullGuard’s customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
When BullGuard shares your information with a third party it will be for a specific purpose which has been expressly agreed between BullGuard and the third party. BullGuard does not permit third parties to use your information for any purpose other than the purpose specifically agreed between it and BullGuard.
Where BullGuard stores your personal data & how it keeps data secure
All information you provide to BullGuard is stored on secure servers and is encrypted using SSL technology. Where BullGuard has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. BullGuard asks you not to share a password with anyone.
Any payment information that you provide is passed directly to a payment processor over a secure connection. Only the payment processor will store the entire credit card number. BullGuard stores the last 4 digits of your credit card number and the expiry date so that it can offer you automatic renewal of subscriptions and provide you with reminder notifications if your card has expired. During the order process you may be directed onto pages hosted by BullGuard's online payment provider. Such pages will maintain the look and feel of the BullGuard sites but will identify the online payment provider in the URL.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although BullGuard will do its best to protect your personal data, BullGuard cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once BullGuard has received your information, it maintains industry standard technology standards along with other electronic, physical and procedural safeguards to maintain the security of your information and to prevent unauthorised access to it.
Retention of Data
BullGuard will keep your data for as long as your BullGuard account is active or for so long as the information is needed in order that BullGuard can continue to provide you with services, comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes or to enforce agreements. If you close your BullGuard account or if it expires BullGuard will retain any data that you backed up to BullGuard's servers for at least 30 days from closure or expiry of your account.
Cookies & web beacons
You have the right to ask BullGuard not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can Contact Us as shown in the last section of this policy at any time to exercise this right. You can also adjust your preference settings to opt in or out of receiving the BullGuard newsletter and surveys via your BullGuard account and use the “unsubscribe” option at the foot of any reminder emails to ensure that you do not receive such emails in the future.
Accessing and managing your data and preferences through your BullGuard account
You can view and update some of your PII and preference settings through your BullGuard account and we encourage you to take the time to log in to your account periodically for this purpose. If you have any questions about how to manage your data and settings through your account please Contact Us as shown in the last section of this policy.
How to make a formal information access request
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet BullGuard’s costs in providing you with details of the information it holds about you. If you wish to make a request for information please do so in writing using the Contact Us details found at the end of this policy.
Links to third party sites
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Your BullGuard profile and use of forums
When you create a profile on a BullGuard forum your username will be displayed on the site. You will be given the option of either displaying or hiding your email address and allowing other forum users to contact you via email. When using the BullGuard forums, please be aware that any personal information you submit there can be read, collected and used by other forum users and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. You are responsible for the information that you choose to submit on the BullGuard forums.
If you would like to request the removal of your personal information from the BullGuard forums please Contact as shown in the last section of this policy. Please note that BullGuard is not always able to remove all information; if this is the case you will be informed of what information cannot be removed and why.
Refer a friend
BullGuard operates a referral services to allow you to tell your friends about BullGuard. If you choose to use the BullGuard referral service you must provide the name and email address of your friend(s). You must only submit these details if you are authorised to do so by your friend(s). BullGuard will send your friend(s) a one-off email inviting them to visit the BullGuard site. BullGuard will keep the name and email address of your friend(s) only for the purpose of sending this one-off email and tracking the success of the referral process.
If you have received an email from BullGuard through the Refer a Friend service and wish to have your details deleted from BullGuard’s database please Contact Us as shown in the last section of this policy to request deletion of your details.
or to BullGuard Limited, Customer Relations Department, 9 Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4YF, UK.
Last updated December 2016.
Scope of policy
This policy details how cookies and web beacons are used on BullGuard’s website. Please ensure that you take the time to read and understand this policy. If you have any queries regarding the policy please Contact Us as shown in the last section of this policy.
BullGuard uses the following cookies:
- - Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the BullGuard website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of the website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- - Analytical/performance cookies. They allow BullGuard to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the website when they are using it. This helps BullGuard to improve the way the website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- - Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the BullGuard website. This enables BullGuard to personalise content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- - Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the BullGuard website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. BullGuard will use this information to make the website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. BullGuard may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Please note that some of the cookies listed above are placed by third parties (including, for example, advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services) and we have no control over these.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the BullGuard website.
BullGuard also uses web beacons on the website. These are invisible graphical images also known as single pixel GIFs. BullGuard uses web beacons to assess which pages of the website users access.
You can prevent the use of web beacons by setting your browser not to display images but using this setting may affect your ability to access some BullGuard services. Consult the “Help” functions in your browser to learn more about displaying mages.
Last updated December 2016.