Just last week we were talking about some worrying facts concerning mobile malware
. As Juniper Research data showed, malware targeting mobile devices nearly tripled, from 14,000 to 40,000 instances, in less than a year.
This week, experts from the mobile security industry
have been expressing their concerns about what can only be described as a pandemic of Android malware, with high risk or potentially dangerous apps reaching 175k in Q3 up from 30k at the end of Q2. And with only 20% of Android users protecting their devices, the majority is at serious risk. It would seem that the majority of Android malware originates from fake versions of real and safe Android apps. The Internet Crime Complaint Center of the FBI in the U.S. has also recently issued a malware alert
, warning users about two new Android Trojans known as Loozfon and FinFisher. At BullGuard, we urge you to keep it safe and simple. Don’t be part of the 80% that are putting themselves at risk to malware, identity theft and lost content
Follow our top 5 tips to protect yourself:
- Don't log in to your bank account, or any other account from a wi-fi hotspot.
- Download apps from reputable app stores only.
- Thinking of rooting your Android device? Know all the risks you'll be facing.
- Protect yourself with BullGuard’s Mobile Security.
- Think twice before sharing your personal information, it can be used to answer security questions in two-factor authentification systems.
With an increase of 483% between Q3 and Q4 this year, it’s shocking to think what the mobile malware numbers could look like should things continue the way they are. It is vital to both protect and educate yourself on all things Malware.
Stay informed and protected with BullGuard! What tips would you add to the above list?