For problems you may be encountering with BullGuard 9.0, please consult this list of known issues that we are currently trying to solve solve permanently or provide answers, fixes or workarounds for.
Issue 1. I've installed BullGuard and its icon does appear in the system tray. But when I click it, BullGuard's console doesn't come up.
This problem occurs on computers with preinstalled operating systems and it's due to a specific registry entry.
1. Download the registry fix for this problem and save it in a location where you can easily find it later.
2. Close BullGuard by right clicking its icon from Windows' system tray (bottom-right corner of your screen) and selecting Close.
3. Double-click the fix file and answer Yes when prompted: "Are you sure you want to add the information in \fix.reg to the registry?".
4. Another dialog will appear, displaying the following message: "Information in \fix.reg has been successfully entered into the registry". Click OK.
5. Start BullGuard manually from the Start > All Programs menu.
Note: This fix may need a system reboot in order to be implemented.
This fix can be applied manually by following these steps.
UPDATES & WEBSERVICE
Issue 1. I get this error when I try to login with BullGuard: "Couldn't connect to webservice".
1. An installed program is prohibiting BullGuard to properly make contact with our servers.
2. A shared registry key used in the login process was deleted or rewritten by another program.
3. The date is not properly set up on your system.
1. Double click on the clock from the bottom right corner of the screen and verify whether the system date coincides with the current calendar date. If it does not, please correct it, then try to login with BullGuard again.
2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking by following the below guides, but make sure you remember to choose this option and not the simple Safe Mode option when you do this. (XP GUIDE and VISTA GUIDE ).
2. Open BullGuard, ignoring the error messages that will follow.
3. Once the login window is shown, login with your registered username and passoword, making sure that the "Login automatically" box is ticked.
4. Restart the computer back in Normal Mode.
Issue 2. I downloaded an important update for BullGuard which required a reboot. After I restart my machine, BullGuard downloads that same update again and gets stuck in this loop.
BullGuard's LiveUpdater keeps a flag on the disk called "PendingSystemReboot" when it needs a reboot to install updates. This file is scheduled for deletion at the same time as the updates are made, by use of a shared registry key. Some other application / installation package might want to use the same shared registry key, and replaces BullGuard's entries with its own. Thus, the PendingSystemReboot file never gets deleted, and the LiveUpdater gets stuck thinking it needs a reboot.
1. Browse to the following location on your PC and delete the PendingSystemReboot file manually:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BullGuard\LiveUpdate\Flags
2. Go to BullGuard's Main section > Account tab and update the application once more.
3. Restart your computer.
Note: "Application Data" is a hidden folder and you may need to follow these steps to make sure you can find it. Alternatively, you can hold the Windows key from your keyboard and press "R" at the same time. Copy-paste the path mention above into the "Run" dialog that appears and click OK.
Issue 3. I get this error when I try to update BullGuard: "Your license is expired".
If your license is not expired and you still receive this error message, make sure that you are not using a beta version of BullGuard 9.
Upgrade to the latest version of BullGuard Internet Security 9.0 by performing these steps.
Issue 1. I cannot access the Internet unless I switch off BullGuard's firewall. How can I configure it to solve this?
The most likely cause is that network accessed has been blocked for the most common programs you use on the Internet.
1. Open BullGuard and go to the Firewall section.
2. Click the Application Rules button and allow Internet access for all your legitimate programs.
3. Click OK in order to confirm the changes and close BullGuard's console.
Issue 2. I want to use the Cisco VPN client, but my system freezes upon connecting to the remote host.
Cisco VPN Client contains several files that are parts of ZoneAlarm Firewall.
1. Disable the Cisco Stateful firewall.
2. Browse to the C:\Windows\System32 folder on your computer and manually delete the vsdata.dll and vsdatant.sys files.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Open BullGuard and go to the Firewall section.
5. Click the Application Rules button.
6. Make sure the Cisco VPN client is allowed to have Internet access. The default location of the file which needs Internet access is: C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\CVPND.EXE
7. To avoid VPN server packets dropping go to the Advanced Rules tab and create the following rules:
Remote Hosts: (your VPN host address)
Remote Ports: (your VPN port number)
Remote Hosts: 127.0.0.1
Local Ports: 62500-62600
Remote Hosts: (your VPN host address)
Local Ports: 500, 4500
8. Confirm the changes by clicking OK and close BullGuard's console.
Issue 3. I cannot synchronize my Windows Mobile phone in Windows Mobile Device Center unless I disable the BullGuard firewall.
The BullGuard firewall is preventing some of the components used by Windows Mobile Device Center to establish a connection to the mobile device.
1. Open BullGuard and go to the Firewall section > Application rules.
2. Right-click anywhere in the window and select the New rule... option.
3. Browse to C:\Windows\WindowsMobile.
4. Select wmdHost.exe and add it to the Application rules.
5. Set an Allow policy for the new rule.
6. Repeat the setps 3-6 for wmdsyncman.dll and wmdc.exe at the same location (C:\Windows\WindowsMobile).
7. Make sure wmdsyncman.dll and wmdc.exe also have Allow policies.
8. Click OK to save the settings.
9. In the same Firewall section go to the Firewall settings and select the Subnets tab.
10. Look in the Trusted Subnets area and place checkmarks before each entry in the "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" section.
Finally, please run the following procedure on your mobile device:
For Windows Mobile 6.0 and 6.1
11. Go to Start > Settings > Connections tab.
12. Tap or select "USB to PC".
13. Untick "Enable faster data synchronization" and press OK until you are returned to the home screen.
For Windows Mobile 6.5
14. Go to Start > All settings/Settings > Connections > USB to PC.
15. Untick "Enable faster data synchronization".
Issue 1. When I open MS Office Outlook, I get the message: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?". Is this caused by BullGuard?
If BullGuard's Spamfilter is switched on, it is the most likely cause of this message. The spamfilter checks data stored in your email client in order to improve its accuracy.
We recommend you allow BullGuard to retrieve the information it needs from your email client and answer Yes to the above question. Additionally, you should choose to allow access for 2-5 minutes from the drop-down menu in that window and check that the following options are enabled in BullGuard's Spamfilter section > Overview tab:
* Automatically whitelist addresses I write to
* Automatically whitelist cc's of trusted senders
Issue 2. I can't see BullGuard's Spamfilter toolbar in my email client.
Either the toolbar has been disabled or the Spamfilter settings are incorrect.
1. Open BullGuard and go to the Spamfilter section > Overview tab.
2. Make sure this module is switched on and that the correct email client is selected in the drop-down menu.
3. Close and then re-open your email client.
4. For Outlook Express:
* Open Outlook and go to the View menu > Layout…
* Make sure the Toolbar check-box is ticked and press the Customize Toolbar… button.
* In the new window that appears, locate BullGuard's Spamfilter buttons in the "Available toolbar buttons" combo box.
* Select each one in turn and add them in the "Current toolbar buttons" list.
* Click Close and then Apply and OK in order to confirm the changes.
5. For MS Office Outlook:
* Open Outlook and go to the View menu > Toolbars.
* In the submenu that appears, make sure the "BullGuard Spamfilter" entry is checked.
* Go to the Help menu > About Microsoft Office Outlook.
* Press the Disabled Items… button.
* If the BullGuard Spamfilter is present in the "Disabled Items", list please select it and then press the Enable button.
Issue 3. BullGuard's Spamfilter plugin is found to be incompatible with Thunderbird 3.0.1 and the Spamfilter toolbar is not shown.
Thunderbird checks plugin compatibility only once, permanently enabling or disabling plugins.
1. Open Thunderbird and go to Thunderbird settings > Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings > Local directory. Profile directories can be found in the folder Profiles on the Local directory path.
2. Close Thunderbird.
3. Open each profile directory and delete the extensions.rdf file.
4. On the next startup Thunderbird should find our plugins compatible.
Issue 4. I want to stop using BullGuard's Spamfilter footer in the emails I send, but the option is grayed out.
The "Include footer in sent e-mails" option from the Spamfilter section > Overview tab cannot be disabled if you have a free Spamfilter subscription. If yours is a paid or trial account and that option is still greyed out, please contact Support about the issue. The necessary changes will then be applied to your account.
Issue 1. I want to do a backup on a drive from my network, but BullGuard doesn't copy them to the location I specify.
1. Hold the Windows key on your keyboard and then press "R" and the same time to bring up the "Run" dialog.
2. Type the network address (IP or name) of the destination PC in this form: \\192.168.0.1 or \\server.
3. Click OK. This will display the content of the remote location in a Explorer window.
4. Browse to the folder where you want to backup your files.
5. Right click that folder and select Map Network Drive...
6. Assign a letter for it and click OK.
7. Create a new backup profile in BullGuard's Backup section an configure it to send files to the newly created mapped network drive.
If you did not find the solution you were looking for, please feel free to contact our Support.
Back to Known Issues