How to protect yourself from Conficker Computer Worm.
Protect yourself from the Conficker Computer Worm.
According to Microsoft:
Systems infected with the latest version of Conficker will begin to use a new algorithm to determine what domains to contact. Microsoft has not identified any other actions scheduled to take place on April 1, 2009. It is possible that systems with the latest version of Conficker may be updated with a newer version of Conficker on April 1 by contacting domains on the new domain list. However, these systems could be updated on any date before or after April 1 as well using the "peer-to-peer" updating channel in the latest version of Conficker.
1. Keep Windows up-to-date and download the latest security patches:
2. Keep BullGuard up-to-date and make sure you are using the latest version available (please note that the upgrade to the latest version is free of charge):
3. Perform a full scan of the computer on regular basis:
4. Create a strong password policy .
5. Disable the AutoPlay feature through the registry.
1. Download the dedicated tool from http://www.bdtools.net/ or http://www.downadup.org/ and run it on the infected computer. There is also a version of the tool that can be used in order to disinfect computers over a network (efficient if the customer does not have a working internet connection on the infected computer, but can use another one within the LAN). Instructions for both versions can be found here:
2. Use Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool .
You can find more details about the worm at http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx .
The BullGuard Team