BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus Removal > Removal Help > Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software Printable version of : Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

NBTD245

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/25/2009 2:53 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus softwareAlert an admin about: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software
I've been using AdAware and scanning everything I download but I still managed to get something. Not sure what to do as I can't run AdAware or install HijackThis. Any help would be appreciated.

Jintan

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1428

Posted 7/25/2009 4:02 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus softwareAlert an admin about: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software
Hello NBTD245,

When you have such a tough starting point with us here, details become pretty important. You don't mention what type of Windows operating system this is, and what the actual problems are when trying to install the things you mention. Without more info, I will provide these steps for now to see what you can get done.

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while any of these steps here are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs.

==============

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking. At startup tap the F8 key about once per half-second, then select that option from the menu.

Download HijackThis from Here, but as you download that save the file to your system as jacker.com. Then click on that renamed downloaded file to install HijackThis. Leave that for now in case we need it later.

Then download RSIT (random's system information tool) from here to your desktop, but as you download that save the file to your system as ritter.com. Then click on that renamed downloaded file to run RSIT.

If necessary allow it to locate or download a copy of HijackThis as needed (in case you still couldn't run it).

Once the scan completes a textbox will open - copy/paste those contents here for review please. The log can also be found at C:\rsit\log.txt.

RSIT will also create a second log, info.txt, which will be minimized to your taskbar. Post that here as well please (it will also be stored at C:\rsit\info.txt).

You can break logs into parts and use separate posts here when replying and posting the log files, if needed.

Click here and help my friend help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives.

NBTD245

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/25/2009 9:12 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus softwareAlert an admin about: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software
Sorry about the lack of info. I made the topic really quickly because I'm kind of panicking. I've had to have my computer repaired twice because of viruses (most recently was just a little over a month ago) and I can't afford to have it fixed again.

Anyways, I'm running XP with Service Pack 3. I've tried starting up in Safe Mode with Networking but every time I try, my computer crashes and restarts. It says Windows was unable to start successfully. When I try to start up AdAware, it sits at the loading screen for a long time and then says it's unable to connect. When I tried installing AVG, I get warnings and errors at the end of the install. When I try to run HijackThis, nothing happens at all. Not sure what to do anymore.

Jintan

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1428

Posted 7/26/2009 3:00 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus softwareAlert an admin about: Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software
Do the following, however, these steps will require the use of an XP CD (no problem if it is not SP3). If you do not have one see if you can borrow one. We just need to access the Recovery Console to take a look at things before Windows loads. This is only using the Recovery Console and has nothing to do with any actual "recovery".

listsvc
dir c:\windows\system32\drivers

Open Notepad (Start - Run, type notepad and press Enter).

Copy/paste the above text (inside the Code box) into the open text box, then save this to your C:\Windows folder as "servcheck.bat"

It should then be C:\Windows\servcheck.bat (important)

Then start the problem computer, and load the XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart the system (or if you are quick you can do it as it loads). On reboot watch for and agree to any prompts to boot from the CD. If the system only reboots to Windows stop and post back here and we will discuss steps to make changes in the BIOS.

After the installation software inspects the system and loads all necessary device drivers you will see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, with the following menu:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press "R" to start the Recovery Console setup. After you start the Windows Recovery Console, you receive the following message:

Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

After you enter the number for the appropriate Windows installation (usually #1), Windows will then prompt you to enter the Administrator account password if one was created (if one was not created then just press Enter).

At the prompt type the following, pressing Enter after each:

batch servcheck.bat c:\windows\servicelook.txt

exit

When you hit Enter after typing exit your computer will reboot. Do Not press any key until the system has completely rebooted, then after the reboot be sure to remove your XP CD from the CD-ROM drive.

Then locate and post back here the contents of c:\windows\servicelook.txt please.

Click here and help my friend help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives.

New Topic Post reply to : Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software Printable version of : Have a virus that won't allow me to install anti-virus software

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, September 03, 2014 2:43 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,587 posts in 13,315 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 3 new threads and 4 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36306 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, bcbjork.
2 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Slow Performance Since Installing Bullguard (0)9/2/2014 8:24:31 PM (bcbjork)
BullGuard2014 Quarantine BUG (0)9/2/2014 5:40:39 PM (ztlol1314)
Bullguard Backup: 3 GB of files are "missing" but freespace calcuation seems to think they (3)8/31/2014 11:20:08 PM (Robert Mateescu)
Blocking of sites (5)8/31/2014 6:53:45 PM (Robert Mateescu)