Can't identify the virus but I know it's there. Help needed please!

Posted 12/16/2012 3:08 PM

dodsoncm Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
Good Morning All,

About a week ago I lost the broadband connection on my HP Pavillion (Vista SP2). Computer is horribly slow. Anytime I try to run a program or a service, such as msconfig, I receive the error that "The Specified Service does not exist as an installed service."

I'm running McAfee Total Protection which updates automatically. I've run a McAfee full scan, a Malwarebytes full scan, Stinger, TDSSKILLER, McAfee Rootkit Removal (unsuccessful). All of them have found nothing. I've run the scans during a normal boot as well as safemode.

My USB and CD/R access is also shut down so I don't have a way to copy any logs to another PC and post them here in the forum. I'm at a loss as what to do.

I would simply reload the PC, however I am unable to back anything up. I know, I know, important things should always be backed up to a secondary source. I recently lost my mother and husband to cancer (and then I had a work accident). I'm trying to back up all of the photo's I have from their memorial services and such. Life has been too crazy as of late and I didn't back them up... I didn't follow the number one rule. Back it up!

Not sure what my options are, but if someone has any suggstions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Christy
Posted 12/16/2012 8:48 PM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 427
Hello Christy,

I am very sorry about your loss.

Try running a sfc /scannow by going to Start and typing cmd -> right click on the cmd.exe result ->Run as administrator. In the new black window type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
After the scan is completed, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Since the drive is in use, the check disk scan will not start. Press Y to schedule it to run on the next reboot.
Download and run (as administrator) the ServicesRepair tool.
Reboot your PC and allow the check disk to run.

Best wishes!
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: http://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Sunday, April 23, 2017, 4:00 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,194 posts in 13,463 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 2 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,020 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, gobertron.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.