Laptop running Win7 refuses to install any virusscanner

Posted 11/20/2012 9:30 AM

BartDM Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Hiya, <br/> <br/>My wife's computer has been on the blink lately. some weeks ago the installed Microsoft Security Essentials didn't start up anymore. <br/>I removed it and reinstalled it but every time it ends with an error message. <br/>The same thing happens when I try to install any other virus scanner. <br/> <br/>I'm currently running (remotely) a online scan from ESET (which has already found a number of threats) <br/> <br/>Now I'm just wondering what can be done to make sure that the PC lets us install a decent virus scanner again. <br/> <br/>any tips, hints, tricks welcome. <br/> <br/>Good thing I can connect remotely to the PC at the moment. <br/> <br/> <br/>with kind regards, <br/>Bart
Posted 11/21/2012 12:30 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12976
Hello Bart :smile: <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Let´s see what´s running on your computer. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Download OTL by OldTimer, saving it to your desktop: http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe <br/>• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted. <br/>• Select All Users <br/> <br/>• <br/>• Click the Quick Scan button. <br/>Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. <br/>The scan wont take long. <br/> <br/>• When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. <br/>• Post both logs

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

Posted 11/21/2012 9:01 AM

BartDM Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Hi Touch, <br/> <br/>Thanks for the reply. <br/>However we were able to get it sorted out - although in a rather rough manner: <br/> <br/>We reinstalled the OS, restored the necessary backups of her programs and presto all is working as it should. <br/> <br/>Thanks again for the effort. <br/> <br/>have a nice day.
Posted 11/21/2012 9:31 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12976
My pleasure :-) <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Also a nice day to you.............

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

• Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Sunday, December 11, 2016, 9:12 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,164 posts in 13,450 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 1 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 37,970 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, MJD.
There are currently no users on-line.