System Slowdown!

Posted 10/24/2012 8:50 PM

Goodguy69 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 40
Lets check your Proxy Settings for any changes:

How To Fix Proxy Settings In WindowsXP:
1) Open Internet Options in the Control Panel or via Tools menu in Internet Explorer
2) Click on the Connections tab
3) Click on LAN Settings
4) Uncheck the "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN" setting. Especially if the address spot is blank.
5) Click OK

Download and Run, Trojan Remover 30 day trial, from this link: http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

Then we will use a Online Scanner, either HitmanPro3.6 from this link: http://www.surfright.nl/en

or

Eset Online Scanner from this link: http://www.eset.com/online-scanner-popup/
(You will need to run this one from I.E unless you install a small add-on when prompted)

Can you confirm this happens when browsing only, or is it when you start Chrome and open a New Page.
If it's the latter check your Chrome Settings, they have changed it's set-up. And is a little tricky.

Have you opened and checked your Host file since the replacement?
Posted 10/25/2012 8:40 AM

Erwiin Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 14
The "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN" setting was already unchecked.

Bullguard blocked me from accessing the site: http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

My host file contains:

For Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

-------

The Hitman Pro log:

[code]
HitmanPro 3.6.2.171
www.hitmanpro.com

Computer name . . . . : ERWIN01
Windows . . . . . . . : 5.1.3.2600.X86/2
User name . . . . . . : ERWIN01\erwin
License . . . . . . . : Free

Scan date . . . . . . : 2012-10-25 18:42:40
Scan mode . . . . . . : Normal
Scan duration . . . . : 23m 1s
Disk access mode . . : Direct disk access (SRB)
Cloud . . . . . . . . : Internet
Reboot . . . . . . . : No

Threats . . . . . . . : 0
Traces . . . . . . . : 15

Objects scanned . . . : 1,382,692
Files scanned . . . . : 211,534
Remnants scanned . . : 540,018 files / 631,140 keys

Cookies _____________________________________________________________________

C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:ad.yieldmanager.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:adserver.adtechus.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:advertiser.adknowledge.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:atdmt.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:dmtracker.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:invitemedia.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:kontera.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:microsoftsto.112.2o7.net
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:microsoftwlsearchcrm.112.2o7.net
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:pcworldcommunication.122.2o7.net
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:serving-sys.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:statcounter.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:tribalfusion.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:uk.sitestat.com
C:\Documents and Settings\erwin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cookies:xiti.com

[/code]

-------------

I'm seriously thinking about formatting the HD and starting over again. I don't want to, but this is getting ridiculous. If Bullguard AV did what it is supposed to do in the first place...
Posted 10/26/2012 2:54 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Try this Add-on https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fix-url-links-redirect/ngcknmhpnonbbekommfpihpddphgiojd?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
Posted 10/26/2012 3:17 AM

Erwiin Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"Goodguy69" wrote: Try this Add-on https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fix-url-links-redirect/ngcknmhpnonbbekommfpihpddphgiojd?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

That seems to be working. Thanks. :hop:

Now I just need to work out how to stop my computer from running so slow.
Posted 10/26/2012 6:15 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
:-) Great to hear.
Open Task Manager and see what programs are using all of your CPU and RAM? Copy and paste the names here.

How To Check Startup List Entries:
Click Start, Run, (Type in the open box msconfig), Click StartUp tab.
Go down the list unchecking anything you don't need, (copy and paste it here if your not sure or Google them)
Posted 10/27/2012 8:35 AM

Erwiin Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I decided to format my HDD and have since installed Windows 8. Apart from a couple of minor teething issues, everything is running well.

Thank you very much for your help over the past week.
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Saturday, April 29, 2017, 3:24 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,198 posts in 13,463 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 5 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,021 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, kevint89.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.