BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > General Security > Computer and Mobile Security > Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Locked Topic Printable version of : Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
36 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 17

Posted 2/18/2012 12:37 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
I have a bit of a strange problem. Since I have upgraded to Bulldog Anti-virus 12 each time I open Windows Live Mail after starting up the computer I am missing the top tool bar i.e. where the Home/Folders/View/Account tabs are. I close the programme down and reopen immediately and they are there. Sometimes I also have the Spam, Not Spam etc buttons on the top right hand side but mostly these do not appear!!
This has all happened since the upgrade. I have tried disabling Bullguard before opening WLM but it made no difference. I have been into Uninstall/Change programmes and done a repair to WLM. This seemed to work initially but then it all reverted back again.
Can anyone suggest anything else I can try as it is a bit of a nuisance to have to open then close and open again before I can use WLM?

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 300

Posted 2/18/2012 12:13 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Hello shanta4,

You are not alone in experiencing the problem of the missing Windows Live Mail toolbar. I also have the issue but I had not connected it with BG Antivirus 12.

It only happens ocassionally but when I open WLM the whole toolbar is sometimes replaced with a black bar. Reopening WLM clears the problem.

The issue not just confined to my desktop - a laptop on the same home network also sometimes opens without the WLM toolbar.

This may be a Windows 7/ Windows LIve Mail issue and not connected with BG.

I have just opened WLM - the toolbar is missing again! Screenshot attached to this post.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 18-02-2012 09:37:27 GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
WLM.PNG
  83KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 458 time(s).

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/18/2012 7:38 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Exactly the same as my screen. If you find out a cause and remedy please let me know!!

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/18/2012 11:33 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
I certainly shall - meanwhile I have posted our issue on another forum and will let you know if I get any responses.

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/19/2012 12:27 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
On the WLM Forum I was advised to update my version which I did but made no difference.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/19/2012 3:12 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
The response you got wasn't much help!

I did a bit of Googling and found one interesting article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505524. It appears that update KB2454826 (January 2011) has caused problems with opening Windows Live Mail; however....I checked the desktop and the laptop - they are both new computers and KB2454826 has never been installed in either of them.

I would be surprised if the issue was anything to do with BullGuard but maybe we shall get more responses later.

Meanwhile it is worth looking to see if you have installed KB2454826 which was supposed to improve Windows 7 graphics.

:-)

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/20/2012 12:54 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Thank you for your continued support. I have checked but I cannot find that KB2454826 has been installed so that wouldn't appear to be the problem. On the Windows forum I was asked to reinstall Windows LIve Essentials but this has also not made any difference!!
If I find out anything or, heavens above, a solution I will let you know.

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 262

Posted 2/20/2012 11:38 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
HI there,

Try this:

1. Right click on the Windows Live Mail shortcut.
2. Select Properties, and then the "Shortcut" tab.
3. Copy the file location from the "Start in" field.
4. Go to Start (lower left side of your desktop) ,paste the location and press enter.
5. Locate the Windows Live mail executable (wlmail.exe).
6. Right click on it, and select properties.
7. Go to the compatibility tab , and from there, choose "Show settings for all users"
8. whilst in the new opened window, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for: ", the select from the dropdown list Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
9. In the lower section of the "Compatibility" window, check "Run this program as an administrator".
10. Press "Apply", and then "OK".
11. Reboot your PC.

Cheers!

Robert Mateescu
Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/20/2012 7:23 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Started to do as suggested but nothing showing in the "start in " field. Tried to locate file other ways but no luck. See you say to select Windows XP but as I am on Windows 7 is this right?

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/20/2012 8:05 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Dickens said...
The response you got wasn't much help!

I did a bit of Googling and found one interesting article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505524. It appears that update KB2454826 (January 2011) has caused problems with opening Windows Live Mail; however....I checked the desktop and the laptop - they are both new computers and KB2454826 has never been installed in either of them.

I would be surprised if the issue was anything to do with BullGuard but maybe we shall get more responses later.

Meanwhile it is worth looking to see if you have installed KB2454826 which was supposed to improve Windows 7 graphics.

:-)

This is a response from the WLM forum

I haven't seen your screenshot, but Bullguard is known not always to play nicely with WLMail. I thought the latest problems had been sorted out with the introduction of BG12, but I would still be wary of any application that tries to insinuate itself into WLMail's interface. You could easily test this by uninstalling Bullguard, using the manufacturer's utility if there is one, rebooting and seeing whether you still have the problem in WLMail.
Haven't tried this yet but thought I would pass on the info.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/21/2012 12:23 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Thanks, shanta4,

Very interesting!

Was that a response to your question? I have received a response to mine asking for a screenshot, which I have just sent. My question is under the heading, Windows Live Mail Home Toolbar Missing on Startup.

I, too tried Robert's fix but like you was not successful.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 21-02-2012 11:28:18 GMT

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/21/2012 5:58 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Dickens said...
Thanks, shanta4,

Very interesting!

Was that a response to your question? I have received a response to mine asking for a screenshot, which I have just sent. My question is under the heading, Windows Live Mail Home Toolbar Missing on Startup.

I, too tried Robert's fix but like you was not successful.

If they get enough complaints about the same missing tool bar perhaps they could come up with a solution. I am sure it is to do with Bullguard as this started after I upgraded to BG12.
Going to uninstall and try without BG. Then reinstall it again to prove a point.
Will let you know.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 550

Posted 2/22/2012 10:24 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Basically, you need to find wlmail.exe (it's the executable that starts Windows Live Mail and you need to find the executable itself, not the shortcut), right-click on it and select Properties.

In that window:
1. Go to the compatibility tab , and from there, choose "Show settings for all users"
2. In the new window, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for: ", the select from the dropdown list Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
3. In the lower section of the "Compatibility" window, check "Run this program as an administrator".

This is necessary for all users who experience the issue. All other users should keep the default settings.

As always, this is a workaround, not the solution.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/22/2012 6:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Thanks for that.
At the moment I have uninstalled BG including settings and reinstalled it and after four log offs and restarts the tool bar has been there so I am hoping that is it!!
I will keep a note of your suggestion and try that if it goes again.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/22/2012 7:31 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Not so good with me - I unistalled BullGuard + settings then re-installed.

The Home Toolbar was blacked out at the first log-in.

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/22/2012 7:45 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Oh, bother!!
So far I am still ok.
Have a try at what has been suggested to me above and see if that does anything. I couldn't find the windows live exe file but you may be more clever than I am!!
Good luck.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/22/2012 7:59 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
On my desktop, typing wlmail.exe in 'Search programs and files' produced only 'wmail'. But I could do the workaround with that.

However, each time you try to access Windows Live Mail you will have to respond an Aministrator prompt so you are almost back to square 1.

Amazingly, I have just again typed 'wlmail.exe into 'Search programs and files' and the exe is added to wmail.

So I got two separate results on one desktop!

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/23/2012 12:23 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
You got further than I did as all that happened with me was WLM opening.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/23/2012 12:57 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Click on Start button then type 'wlmail.exe' in the 'Search programs and files' box.
Right click on 'wlmail.exe or 'wlmail' (whatever shows up in the programs list).
Then click 'Properties' at the bottom of the drop-down list then carry on with Andreea's instructions as above.

If you do use the workaround you will of course get an Administrator prompt each time you open Windows Live Mail so it's not really satisfactory.

I am going to try one more thing - I am going to disable BullGuard AV, switch on Windows Firewall and see what happens for a day.

I am now certain that I was wrong when I said that the problem was on both of my computers - the desktop is working OK; it is the laptop that has the problem.

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/23/2012 1:31 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
I had done all that but still the programme opened. Tried to find file through Windows Explorer but no joy. I am still ok at the moment so am hoping my problem is cured.
I had also tried disabling BG but made no difference.
I hope you get a bit more luck.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 2/23/2012 2:36 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Are you prompted for an administrator password by Windows (grayed out screen and/or notification) or by Windows Live Mail?
In case the first is valid, try to disable the User Account Control and let me know if you are still prompted for the password.

This is not a general issue, which is why solving it takes a little longer, but any and all information will get us there faster. I am looking forward to your reply Dickens.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/23/2012 3:07 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
I get the grayed out screen and notification.

If I disable User Account Control I do not get the prompt on opening Windows Live Mail.

Later today I am planning to run the affected laptop with BullGuard Realtime Antivirus and Firewall disabled. I shall switch on Windows Firewall to be safe.

If the issue remains I guess we have to assume it is a problem relating to Windows 7 or to the laptop itself.

I have previously re-installed BullGuard and Windows Live Mail on the laptop.

shanta4

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 2/23/2012 7:33 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
It appears that my problem was definitely BG. This programme had also been affecting Photoshop that I use a lot. After the upgrade to BG12 I have not had any more bother with PS. As you have exactly the same problem I would have thought BG was also the rogue.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 2/23/2012 8:12 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Hi Andreea-Luciana,

I turned off BullGuard Real Time Antvirus Protection and unchecked 'Continue to apply firewall rules when BullGuard is closed.'

Switched on Windows Firewall.

Re-started computer.

Logged on to Windows LIve Mail OK 3 times; then black bar appeared again at 4th logon.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 23-02-2012 17:24:30 GMT

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 2/24/2012 8:12 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgradeAlert an admin about: Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
Try to re-install .net framework 3.5 and 4. Re-install Visual C++ (2008+2010) Redistributable SP1 for your system type (32-bit or 64-bit) then go to Microsoft Update and get all Windows Updates.

.net framework 3.5 www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22
.net framework 4 www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17851

Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable SP1 32-bit www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable SP1 64-bit www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=2092

Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable SP1 32-bit www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable SP1 64-bit www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13523

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

New Topic Locked Topic Printable version of : Lost tool bar in Windows Live Mail since Bullguard upgrade
36 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:27 PM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,529 posts in 13,304 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36194 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, brucekemp.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads