BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > General Security > Computer and Mobile Security > Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail Printable version of : Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

emb

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/7/2006 3:03 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
For the past two days, I have been experiencing very slow e-mail downloads when opening or refreshing Thunderbird v 1.0.7 e-mail. Once open, I have the following problems:
1. I have trouble deleting e-mails from the in basket. Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes many tries.
2. The status counters in the lower right corner will keep incrementing while I stare at the screen. Nothing happens on the display. Example: I have 28e-mails and the counter shows 535. I have 3 unopened e-mails and the counter shows 33. Then the counters will keep changing without any keyboard or mouse activity.
3. Most times when I double click on an e-mail to open, I get a blank page. I do not have a window for partial display open at the bottom. If I drag open a small display window at the bottom, the contents of the selected e-mail is presented always.

I have compacted all folders. I have updated to the latest version twice. Same problems.

paul_v_h

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 3

Posted 2/28/2006 2:13 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
I have exactly the same problem.
When I open T-bird, it take sabout 10 minutes to open my inbox.  I have also compacted my folders but that doesn't seem to solve anything.
I am going to try to create a new profile (maybe my present profile is corrupted) or reinstall the wholle thing.
Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Does anybody know what causes this problem and how it can be solved ?

thanks
paul (from belgium)

emb

Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 2/28/2006 9:02 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
Slow Thunderbird e-mail load fix. I don't know the reasons why but I know this works. There is an e-mail file that gets built each time you open e-mail that is corrupted. It is: {inbox.msf}. Close Thunderbird. Find {inbox.msf} and delete it. DO NOT DELETE the file {inbox} which has no extension as it contains all of your e-mails. Open Thunderbird and a new, uncorrupted {inbox.msf} file will be created. This may take a little while the first time. To test all is well, close Thunderbird and re-open it and it should open quickly. The biggest problem is in finding {inbox.msf}. Mine is burried in Documents and Settings. Here is my path. C:\Documents And Settings\<my personal directory with my name on it>\Application Data\Thunderbird\ Profiles\qvf0hxvq.default\Mail\<your IPS server here>\inbox.msf. Good luck.

paul_v_h

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 3/1/2006 2:32 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
i'm afraid that didn't work... :-(
i looked at my "inbox" file (the one wothout extension) and that file is 728 MB !
could that be the reason ?
i don't know why it is so big though, i do have a lot of emails but most of them without attachments
and i don't get any virus warnings or anything, so that shouldn't be the problem either i guess
could backing up my profile help ?

paul_v_h

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 3/1/2006 3:24 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
great news !!
i was able to fix it !
like you said, it was probably the inbox.msf that was corrupted

i have a folder Thunderbird/Profiles/(defaultuser)/mail/in.telenet.be
(telenet is my provider)
an also a folder Thunderbird/Profiles/(defaultuser)/mail/local folders

it was the file inbox.msf in the "local folders" folder that was corrupted apparently
i deleted it, restarted, the file got rebuilt, and now everything works fine

the inbox file (without extension) in the local folders file got reduced from 1,18 GB to 39 MB
but in the "in.telenet.be" folder, i still have a inbox (also the file without extension) of 728 MB
is that normal ?

already many thanks for the advice !!  finally i can use my mail again properly :-)

cheers
Paul

Charles Clemens

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/12/2010 9:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
My Thunderbird was performing terribly. I noted that my "Inbox" was 600 megabytes. I tried the above manuever; but it didn't help.
I then discovered the following:
In Thunderbird itself, Right click on your "Inbox".
You should get a dropdown menu that includes "Properties"
Click on that
A new menu that includes a tab called "retention policies" should appear.
I changed my retention policy from "use my account settings" to delete all but the most recent 10 e-mails.
I then right clicked again and hit compact
Now my "Inbox" folder in Documents and settings is 18K and everyting works great.

delsavage

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted Today 1:23 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mailAlert an admin about: Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail
Charles Clemens, Thunderbird is driving me crazy! Constantly getting the "Not Responding" message whilst composing, and emails can take over a minute to send...

Sounds like you may have been having the same issues? Does your fix sort that, and I'm a bit worried that it will delete all but the last 10 of my emails, could you advise?

If your fix works you'll be my hero forever!

New Topic Post reply to : Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail Printable version of : Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:54 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,663 posts in 13,330 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36537 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ericbana14.
4 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Errors, warnings, infections, trojans and junk (0)10/20/2014 8:46:20 PM (Deb1957)