Min

/

Sec

Thunderbird Slow Loading e-mail

Posted 1/7/2006 12:03 AM

emb Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
For the past two days, I have been experiencing very slow e-mail downloads when opening or refreshing Thunderbird v 1.0.7 e-mail. Once open, I have the following problems: <br/>1. I have trouble deleting e-mails from the in basket. Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes many tries. <br/> <br/>2. The status counters in the lower right corner will keep incrementing while I stare at the screen. Nothing happens on the display. Example: I have 28e-mails and the counter shows 535. I have 3 unopened e-mails and the counter shows 33. Then the counters will keep changing without any keyboard or mouse activity. <br/> <br/>3. Most times when I double click on an e-mail to open, I get a blank page. I do not have a window for partial display open at the bottom. If I drag open a small display window at the bottom, the contents of the selected e-mail is presented always. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>I have compacted all folders. I have updated to the latest version twice. Same problems.
Posted 2/28/2006 11:13 AM

paul_v_h Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
I have exactly the same problem. <br/>When I open T-bird, it take sabout 10 minutes to open my inbox. I have also compacted my folders but that doesn't seem to solve anything. <br/> <br/>I am going to try to create a new profile (maybe my present profile is corrupted) or reinstall the wholle thing. <br/> <br/>Hopefully that will solve the problem. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>Does anybody know what causes this problem and how it can be solved ? <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>thanks <br/> <br/>paul (from belgium)
Posted 2/28/2006 6:02 PM

emb Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Slow Thunderbird e-mail load fix. I don't know the reasons why but I know this works. There is an e-mail file that gets built each time you open e-mail that is corrupted. It is: {inbox.msf}. Close Thunderbird. Find {inbox.msf} and delete it. DO NOT DELETE the file {inbox} which has no extension as it contains all of your e-mails. Open Thunderbird and a new, uncorrupted {inbox.msf} file will be created. This may take a little while the first time. To test all is well, close Thunderbird and re-open it and it should open quickly. The biggest problem is in finding {inbox.msf}. Mine is burried in Documents and Settings. Here is my path. C:\Documents And Settings\<my personal directory with my name on it>\Application Data\Thunderbird\ Profiles\qvf0hxvq.default\Mail\<your IPS server here>\inbox.msf. Good luck.
Posted 3/1/2006 11:32 AM

paul_v_h Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
i'm afraid that didn't work... :-( <br/> <br/>i looked at my "inbox" file (the one wothout extension) and that file is 728 MB ! <br/> <br/>could that be the reason ? <br/> <br/>i don't know why it is so big though, i do have a lot of emails but most of them without attachments <br/> <br/>and i don't get any virus warnings or anything, so that shouldn't be the problem either i guess <br/> <br/>could backing up my profile help ? <br/> <br/><br /><br />
Posted 3/1/2006 12:24 PM

paul_v_h Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
great news !! <br/>i was able to fix it ! <br/> <br/>like you said, it was probably the inbox.msf that was corrupted <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>i have a folder Thunderbird/Profiles/(defaultuser)/mail/in.telenet.be <br/> <br/>(telenet is my provider) <br/> <br/>an also a folder Thunderbird/Profiles/(defaultuser)/mail/local folders <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>it was the file inbox.msf in the "local folders" folder that was corrupted apparently <br/> <br/>i deleted it, restarted, the file got rebuilt, and now everything works fine <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>the inbox file (without extension) in the local folders file got reduced from 1,18 GB to 39 MB <br/> <br/>but in the "in.telenet.be" folder, i still have a inbox (also the file without extension) of 728 MB <br/> <br/>is that normal ? <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>already many thanks for the advice !! finally i can use my mail again properly :-) <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>cheers <br/> <br/>Paul
Posted 1/12/2010 6:35 PM

Charles Clemens Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
My Thunderbird was performing terribly. I noted that my "Inbox" was 600 megabytes. I tried the above manuever; but it didn't help. <br/>I then discovered the following: <br/>In Thunderbird itself, Right click on your "Inbox". <br/>You should get a dropdown menu that includes "Properties" <br/>Click on that <br/>A new menu that includes a tab called "retention policies" should appear. <br/>I changed my retention policy from "use my account settings" to delete all but the most recent 10 e-mails. <br/>I then right clicked again and hit compact <br/>Now my "Inbox" folder in Documents and settings is 18K and everyting works great.
Posted 10/21/2010 10:23 AM

delsavage Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
Charles Clemens, Thunderbird is driving me crazy! Constantly getting the "Not Responding" message whilst composing, and emails can take over a minute to send... <br/> <br/>Sounds like you may have been having the same issues? Does your fix sort that, and I'm a bit worried that it will delete all but the last 10 of my emails, could you advise? <br/> <br/>If your fix works you'll be my hero forever!
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Saturday, December 3, 2016, 1:27 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,157 posts in 13,447 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 1 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 37,966 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Don Tee.
There are currently no users on-line.