Min

/

Sec

Windows Live Mail: Backup failure and blacked out tool bar

Posted 3/10/2014 5:06 PM

xmasbread Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
Bullguard Backup regularly freezes when backing up Windows Live Mail Messages with Bullguard Backup; and, until recently, the Windows Live Mail tool bar was frequently replaced on start-up with a black bar. <br/> <br/>The tool bar was always restored after a restart, or failing that a reboot. <br/> <br/>Last evening Bullguard Backup again froze when backing up Windows Live Mail. This morning the Windows Live Mail tool bar was again replaced by a black bar. After both restarting Windows Live Mail and then a re-boot the black bar remained. After a further re-boot I attempted to carry out a Bullguard backup of Windows Live Mail. Bullguard Backup opened the Windows Live Mail and programme and , surprise surprise, successfully backed up the messages AND the tool bar was restored. <br/> <br/>There is little doubt that Windows Live Mail and Bullguard have an uneasy relationship. <br/> <br/>I post this in case anyone else is faced with this issue.
Posted 3/10/2014 5:51 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 261
Hello xmasbread. <br/> <br/>Re: Windows Live Mail tool bar replaced with black bar. <br/> <br/>Until I saw your post I thought I was the only one with this problem! More than two years ago I spent many happy (?) hours trying to fix this issue. I had the problem with WLM 2011 both on a destop and later on a new a laptop. <br/> <br/>Neither BullGuard Technical Support nor answers.microsoft.com could help me with a solution. If you Google, 'Windows Live Mail Home Toolbar missing on startup' you may find my posts on answers.microsoft.com, dated 22 Feb 2012. <br/> <br/>I gave up in the end - like you I think it is a BullGuard/Windows LIve Mail clash. The black bar on the toolbar seems to appear for no particular reason and will often stay away for many days. <br/> <br/>Incidentally, I have recently updated to Windows LIve Mail 2012 and the black bar has appeared again. <br/> <br/>Please let me know if you find a lasting fix for this annoyance - I can honestly say I tried almost everything. <br/> <br/>I don't think the black bar has anything to do with BullGuard Backup - right now my Backup Scheduler is disabled and I still see the black bar at times. <br/> <br/>I quite like Windows Live Mail so I guess I will just have to live with the issue.
Posted 3/13/2014 11:15 AM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 144
Like Dickens, I upgraded a few months ago to WLM 2012 (which itself received a recent Microsoft update), although in my case it was from WLM 2009. Although I haven't experienced a black bar, I do find occasionally that neither the WLM nor the Bullguard toolbars load at all - this usually resolves itself by restarting WLM. I don't use Bullguard Backup at all, so that plays no role. I do feel that the issue is due to some interaction between the program's own toolbars and the Bullguard one, though.
Posted 3/13/2014 2:03 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Yes, I think it is definitely a BuillGuard/WLM clash. Considering all the work I did to resolve the problem that can be the only reason. <br/> <br/>I won't bore you with a long list of what I did, but very briefly: <br/> <br/>Checked video cards on Desktop and Laptop - all ok. <br/>Did numerous re-installations of WLM 2011 ensuring that all previous WLM files were erased before re-installing. <br/>Sent several log files to Microsoft answers - no issues found. <br/>Re-installed BullGuard on several occasions. <br/>Checked for both hardware and software faults on Desktop and Laptop - nothing found. <br/>Drank more than several glasses of Chenin Blanc but missed a number of good TV programmes while trying to fix the problem!
Posted 3/14/2014 5:41 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 144
"Dickens" wrote: <br/>Drank more than several glasses of Chenin Blanc but missed a number of good TV programmes while trying to fix the problem!
<br/>Dickens, your fault-finding sessions sound a lot more enjoyable than mine!
Posted 3/14/2014 8:38 PM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 427
H there, <br/> <br/>Here is what I recommend: <br/>1. Open your BullGuard and go to Settings ->General. <br/>2. Uncheck the "Allow BullGuard to protect its components against termination" box. <br/>3. Reboot the machine. <br/> <br/>Let me know if the problem still occurs.
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: http://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 3/14/2014 8:59 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hello Robert, <br/> <br/>Have followed your steps - as the Windows Live Mail tool bar problem is an intermittant fault I will get back to you after a few days. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/> :-)
Posted 3/24/2014 2:42 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Here is my follow up to Robert Mateescu's advice. <br/> <br/>I performed all of Robert's steps. After five days and having switched WLM on and off about 5 times each day I did not experience the blacked out toolbar. <br/> <br/>After five days I rechecked the 'Allow BullGuard to protect its components against termination' box and rebooted my computer. <br/> <br/>To date I have noticed just one incident of the WLM blacked out toolbar. <br/> <br/>I think that the latest version of Windows Live Mail (2012) may be more stable than the older version. I am certainly not getting the blacked out toolbar as frequently as before.
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Saturday, December 3, 2016, 6:43 PM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,160 posts in 13,449 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 3 new threads and 4 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 37,968 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Old shape.
There are currently no users on-line.