BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Trial users > After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode Printable version of : After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

wisconsheepgirl

Date Joined Aug 2012
Total Posts : 3

Posted 8/20/2012 7:14 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Last night I found Bullguard via Microsoft support website. I decided to use the trial available. The download was seamless, no issues. I did a Full System Scan and it took an hour and found 9 issues. Some system, some were Trojan Serfim or something. It corrected the issues and then it said I needed to reboot. So I did. That's where the problem (s) began.

After Bullguard rebooted the computer, I was initially able to get to the password screen, but then for the first time in my life a blue screen came up. It was so quick that I was unable to read it. It automatically went to the screen where you're able to select "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking" etc. I chose Safe Mode. Nothing happened other than a blank, black screen with cursor and then it rebooted itself.

I turned off the computer manually to deal with this morning. Now, I'm getting first thing the blue screen, then the "Safe Mode" screen. I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Last Successful Start Up. Nothing happens to where I'm able to get into the actual Start screen, let alone the password screen.

Since the blue screen is so quick, I had to resort to taking a cell phone snapshot to get a clue what the issue could be. It says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to the system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time that you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or softwar is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware, software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP; 0x000000F4 (0X00000003, 086DCB5A0*, 0X86DCB6EC, 0X82838AB0*)
*= unable to decipher if last character is zero or letter 'o'.

Collecting data for crash dump....
Initializing disk for crash dump....
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 90"

I do not have a disk, Windows Vista OS was pre installed. Simple deduction says that this issue is software, directly attributable to installation of Bullguard Trial. Hopefully I can be assisted as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 303

Posted 8/20/2012 10:43 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
I suggest you contact BullGuard Technical Support on www.bullguard.com/support - I assume you have access to a workable computer to do this.

It would also be a help to tell Technical Support the exact website from where you obtained the BullGuard software.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help - please let the Forum know how you get on.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 8/20/2012 7:47:22 PM GMT

wisconsheepgirl

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 8/20/2012 11:26 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Thank you for your response. I did contact Bullguard Live support. They told me only two options: go into bIOS and get factory settings. Tried that. No change. Their second option was for me to take to computer repair shop. I did about an hour ago. Repair guy told me that Bullguards system completely erased the Vista OS. Now I'm out more than a few bucks to correct what he (and I) believe is Bullguards problem. Not impressed, obviously. My link was direct from Microsoft support partners website to Bullguard. So it's authentic, legit. Very irritated and will never recommend this software.

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 303

Posted 8/21/2012 10:31 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Thank you for your response. I have installed BullGuard many times on computers and never had a problem - you were very unlucky and I have no idea what went wrong in your case.

I guess your experience goes to prove how essential it is to have a back up for the operating system.

I know that doesn't help you now, however it might be worth looking out for any further replies to your post.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 8/21/2012 8:39:04 AM GMT

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 8/21/2012 2:40 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
I am extremely sorry to hear about the issue you encountered using BullGuard.

However, while BullGuard does seem to be the culprit for your issues and it may have damaged a system file, I assure you that it did not completely erase the Vista OS. It bothers me that a technician could have made such a statement.

Unfortunately, without access to that computer it is impossible for us to give you an accurate explanation of what happened. In order to know what happened, the computer needs to get repaired with a Windows CD, then retrieve the error logs (the dumps that it created) and analyze them.
Even if my answer comes a little late, because you took the computer to a repair shop, I can tell you that no one can sell Windows (even if it is preinstalled) without giving you a restore method. It's a Microsoft requirement. You either have a recovery partition, or a CD somewhere. Also, even if you had a CD and you lost it, because you have a genuine version of Windows, you can always download a new CD from Microsoft.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this issue. I will be sure to tell our management about the situation, so we can take necessary steps to avoid this from happening again.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Post Edited (Andreea-Luciana Ostache) : 8/21/2012 4:42:43 PM GMT

wisconsheepgirl

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 8/21/2012 11:18 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
I just got back from the repair shop and having the OS re-installed. I chose Windows 7 because the hard drive had completely crashed- it was an either/or choice. As well as Windows Security Essentials for anti-virus, etc protection. I did ask the repair guy to keep the error logs. So if you want them to review, let me know where and how to send it. Per the computer technician, he states AGAIN that the fault lies soley with Bullguard and the installation process where it stripped/corrupted some system.exe from the core of the hard drive that would not be noticed until a reboot happens and it can't find the necessary file.

I look forward to at least having my pain assuaged when the Bullguard techs take a look at the log and can resolve the issue for any future customers.

I believe that that the moderator is wearing rose colored glasses. You believe that I had access to a way to retrieve/restore the Windows OS either via CD or in some other format. I assure you, I do not and never did. De!!!!e a "requirement" from MS. Further, you believe that Bullguard could not possibly be at fault. It is. Simple as that. Due to me having to pay (and take time off work to resolve this issue), I will absolutely in the future tell everyone that I know to not purchase Bullguard (and certainly not take advantage of the Trial!). I did everything that the Bullguard Live Support suggested. Nothing more, as THEY should have at their immediate disposal someone to assist them with a major catastrophe that this has turned out for myself.  

As the moderator stated she does not know my computer or anything, other than a faulty product that she must of course fly the banner for. I care not how many times you've installed Bullguard. I installed it once. And I'm paying the piper aggregiously for doing so.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 8/22/2012 5:52 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Well, first I assure you that I am not wearing any kind of glasses and second I recommend that you read my post again. I understand that you are upset.

Please send the logs to support@bullguard.com.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 8/26/2012 12:12 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
I did not find your logs into our system.

If you have already sent them, please send me a private message with the e-mail address you used to send the logs.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Jintan

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1428

Posted 8/26/2012 2:17 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Likely not a BullGuard issue. That Stop error nearly always suggests hardware, especially RAM, though a failing hard drive has also been seen to create it. If it happens again, test your Ram.

C:\>err 0x000000F4 0X00000003
# for hex 0xf4 / decimal 244 :
CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

# for hex 0x3 / decimal 3 :
BTH_ERROR_HARDWARE_FAILURE

Free RAM Memtest:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 8/26/2012 7:45 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe ModeAlert an admin about: After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode
Jintan you are correct that this was a hardware error, but the user had a Sirefef infection.

If one was to read about the infection here, for example:www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32%2FSirefef, you see:
When executed, the malware attempts to replace a randomly-selected system driver with its own malicious copy. The replaced driver could be any of the following:
afd.sys
i8042prt.sys
ipsec.sys
mrxsmb.sys
netbt.sys
raspppoe.sys
serial.sys
And the above list is not complete.

Sirefef does a lot of nasty things on the computer. There are multiple versions of it, but it usually creates a driver in System32/drivers, then locks System32 (you get access denied if you try to access it), it creates a service that is also locked (the system doesn't have any users in permissions) and it creates a process to run it all. Then it starts dropping other malware.
It's pretty hard to remove an infection like this even with professional support, but I know for a fact that BullGuard blocks it, if BullGuard is already installed on the computer, even if this infection tries to kill the process that is trying to access it (any scanning tools). This makes the disinfection possible.

However, if I were to make an educated guess, because the user installed BullGuard on an already infected computer, it may be that BullGuard removed the system driver that was infected and caused the computer to throw the error, instead of booting normally. Unfortunately, without the logs we can only speculate.

It would be extremely helpful for our developers to get such logs, so we can see exactly what happened and prevent such an issue if possible.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Post Edited (Andreea-Luciana Ostache) : 8/26/2012 7:59:10 AM GMT

New Topic Post reply to : After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode Printable version of : After Full System Scan, now have BSOD unable to get to Safe Mode

Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, October 26, 2014 2:37 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,700 posts in 13,332 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 20 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36552 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, BigStone.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Errors, warnings, infections, trojans and junk (30)10/25/2014 8:39:02 PM (Deb1957)
Bullguard dosent update to latest versions (14)10/25/2014 8:02:47 PM (Robert Mateescu)
Bullguard firewall blocks dns requests for virtual machine clients (3)10/24/2014 11:55:39 AM (leok)