BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Trial users > Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center Printable version of : Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Fred95

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 5

Posted 3/28/2010 8:56 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm new to Windows 7 and Bullguard (pre registration in trial period), just got both on a new PC.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit fully updated with MS updates, and Bullguard 8.7.

As far as I can tell Bullguard is running OK. Its own AV info says real time protection is enabled, and if I test it by going to the EIRCAR test page and copy and paste the string into a text file and save, Bullguard detects it.

However, from time to time, Windows 7 Action center reports that BullGuard Virus Protection is off, but that the Bullguard spyware protection is on. Sometimes about 60% I'd guess, both are reported as on. The rest of the time AV is reported off and spyware is on. The problem seems to occur after some starts of the PC but not all.

If I click the Action center and try to turn Bullguard on, I get the prompt window (about Yes or no to 'I trust the publisher') and pick yes. Bullguard AV screen then appears, but Action center still reports it as being off.

Is this a known problem, or one that anyone else has seen?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fred95

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/28/2010 10:09 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
A bit extra,

from scanning the forum I see it (or something V similar) has been reported before - http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/14/Windows-Security-alert_73149.html but no real info/fix mentioned.

Anyone else seeing the problem?

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 99

Posted 3/29/2010 3:28 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
Yes, coming new to both Windows 7 and Bullguard, I have been getting this Action Centre message now and again on startup. I have put it down to the timing of the Bullguard components loading along with everything else as Windows starts - if the Action Centre happens to load first, it presumably finds Bullguard off and flags up the warning message. Sometimes the same thing happens on shutdown - a message pops up so quickly that it cannot be read properly, but by disabling various warning options in the Action Centre, I have deduced by trial and error it is warning that Bullguard is off. You could eliminate the warning by disabling the checks for Antivirus etc. status in the Action Centre (via Control Panel/Action Centre/Security), but that carries its own risks. Just something we have to to live with, I suppose.

Fred95

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/29/2010 5:30 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
NorthPole, thanks for that. At least I know I'm not alone.

However, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence for a first time user of BG.

I like being able to rely on Windows telling me that my chosen AV is working, I don't want to have to investigate all the time to see if it really is or not.

I guess, for me, unless a fix is provided, when the trial is up I'll have deemed it a failure and move on.

I doubt I'll register for something that has 'anomalies' shall we say, from day 1.

But thanks for the info.

Fred95

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/29/2010 10:29 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
I guess for me this is solved.

It got worse today. My PC started up, and just by chance I went to look in the event log to see how things were going on. I keep an eye on it from time to time.

There were 3 error events in there telling me that:

event 7034 - "The BullGuard Email Monitoring Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."
event 7034 - "The BullGuard File Scan Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."
event 7034 - "The BullGuard Main Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."

I went off to the eircar test file (which was being detected by BG OK yesterday) and sure as eggs is eggs, it now wasn't. I could open it, rename it, anything.

I waited. Neither W7 or Bullguard bothered to tell me that most of BGs services were not running.

After about 5 mins I manually scan'd the file and BG detected eircar test. At this point up popped some error messages from BG telling me that things like the email scanner was not running.

I have now removed BG and installed another AV product. Far too risky for me I feel.

Shame 'cause I'd read good things about it and it seemed easy enough to understand and use. Its just that it had serious problems on this PC. So far the replacement has run fine.

PS - This is a new PC and both BG and its replacement have run full updated scans and found nothing. So I'm certain I haven't been attacked (well as certain as you can be). But BG did not seem to like it.

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 99

Posted 3/31/2010 3:39 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
Oh dear, that does sound bad. I would do the same as you have in the circumstances. I was a long-time Kaspersky user, and Norton before that - like you, I want to give Bullguard a fair go as it came with my new PC, but I do feel it is not perhaps as 'mature' as those two products are.

Fred95

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/31/2010 4:31 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
Maybe there was something wrong with the way BG was pre-installed on this new PC. I don't know.

However, I can say, thats since its removal and replacement there are far fewer (and I mean loads fewer) errors and warnings in the event log.

PetenKaye

Date Joined Apr 2010

Posted 4/19/2010 3:43 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
I can't understand why no-one from BG has come to its defence , or come up with a solution or explanation.

Alan5151

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/17/2010 10:39 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
yes, "me to": new PC , trial vsn came with the PC. "spurious" action centre reports of the absence of the bullguard firewall. Will be reverting to the free competion (**G).

Also : it doesnt work for me with Windows Live Mail. I will log a separate post about that.

Cordialis

Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 15

Posted 2/9/2011 4:02 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
Almost same is happening in my XP Home. I often have to reboot right after starting the PC because the firewall wont start. A reboot usually does it, however.

Post Edited (Cordialis) : 09-02-2011 14:03:57 GMT

bertjan

Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 27

Posted 2/17/2011 9:17 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
upgrade to bullguard 10

Jacout13

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/9/2011 11:14 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action centerAlert an admin about: Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center
Hi,
I encoutered something else : the BullGuard Firewall is disabled for Windows Security Center but activated for BullGuard and Windows Task manager.
This appeared after I protect BullGuard with a password.

Post Edited (Tavi) : 13-07-2011 05:22:27 GMT

New Topic Post reply to : Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center Printable version of : Bullguard reported as 'off' in W7 Action center

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, November 28, 2014 3:31 AM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 60,785 posts in 13,355 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 6 new threads and 10 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36861 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Stressman.
7 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Amazon infected download (4)11/27/2014 7:01:09 PM (doughboii)
Is there a future for the Forum? (7)11/27/2014 3:26:01 PM (Dickens)
"Backup" did not complete due to error 102 (0)11/26/2014 11:29:09 PM (newfree)
New user having problems (2)11/26/2014 9:28:17 PM (Diski)
Cheap K i tchens UK (0)11/26/2014 4:18:09 PM (tongsampahooho)