BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency Printable version of : Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Lunetouche

Date Joined Jun 2014
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/11/2014 3:20 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
So since upgrading from 2013 to 2014, having the firewall enabled and trying to torrent results in EXTREME DPC latency from tcpip.sys spiking as high as 200ms. Thats not a typo, ms not µs. Now obviously this causes poor system performance, the mouse skips across the screen, audio is so distorted you may as well be listening to TV static. Is it possible to safely downgrade back to 2013, as i dont really cherish the idea of using the internet with the firewall disabled (which instantly fixes the problem). Alternatively any ideas on a fix ?

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014
Total Posts : 11

Posted 7/11/2014 3:22 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
See this problem not only for me there, I have written to technical support, I sent them the logs from my computer, they had to speak with the solution but so far there is silence, this problem has stopped me from buying a license.

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 297

Posted 7/12/2014 6:15 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hi there,

Please note that Windows uses a procedure named "system interrupts" (which can cause high CPU usage by itself). Basically, when data is received from peripherals (let's say network data), the Network card (NIC) sends interrupt requests to CPU, causing it to stop whatever it was doing and process the new information. Considering that the same data is analyzed by the firewall, your processor has even more work to do and the normal operations are delayed even further.

As some of the sound cards are connected to the motherboard using the same BUS as the NIC and the USB ports, the buffer can not transfer all the data and the audio one (which is not prioritized by system I/O interrupts) is delayed, resulting the "shattered sound" effect.

Other cause can be high hard drive usage. Due the same reason, the data downloaded by the torrent has priority and fills HDD's buffer, but the information is not processes until it is analyzed by firewall. For hard disks with small buffers, the "shattered sound" effect occurs even when no antivirus software is installed.

To check which exact driver is causing the issue, please follow this guide.

Best wishes!

Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 2014

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

Post Edited (Robert Mateescu) : 7/12/2014 3:59:47 AM GMT

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 7/12/2014 12:42 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
when I turn on the firewall ataport.SYS ​​and tcpip.sys cause high latency

Lunetouche

Date Joined Jun 2014

Posted 7/12/2014 2:33 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
As said in the OP, tcpip.sys is the driver causing issues, BUT only when the firewall is enabled and only since updating from 2013 to 2014. Latencymon is where i got this data from.
the only change in system configuration was the bullguard upgrade and i was having no issues at all beforehand, with torrents downloading right up untill the upgrade was performed, after the reboot, started torrenting and everything went horrible.
I can only imagine how it would cripple a system with a decent internet connection considering i was only getting 800KB/s down and 9 up

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 7/12/2014 7:23 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Tcpip.sys is also used for network filtering.

Follow these steps:

1. Uninstall BullGuard without keeping settings.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Go to Start ->type cmd in the search area ->right click on cmd.exe ->run as admin.
4. In the Command Prompt window type sfc /scannow [Enter]
5. Note the result of the scan and restart the PC.
6. Download Services Repair, and run it as admin. Reboot when prompted.
7. Check for optional Windows updates that refers to drivers. Install them (if any) and restart.
8. Download AdwCleaner from here and run a scan with it. Press the "Clean" button once it is available and agree to all prompts.
9. Turn off Windows Firewall and reinstall BullGuard by downloading it from our website.
10. Once installed, go to Settings ->Main and uncheck the 'Allow BullGuard to protect its components against termination" box and restart to complete the installation.
11. Check if the problem persists. If it does, disable the sound effects for your Windows theme (aka No Sound theme) as shown here (11th screenshot).

@Lunetouche, in the case the issue persists, it occurs only when using torrents?

Cheers!

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

Post Edited (Robert Mateescu) : 7/12/2014 4:32:58 PM GMT

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 7/12/2014 9:09 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
This problem exists even on the new system, so these tips rather nothing ever useful, the problem is the firewall, which will disable the system begins to operate normally. Regards

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 7/13/2014 3:37 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Try disabling the sound effects as per step 11 and let me know the result.

Thanks.

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 7/13/2014 9:08 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
It did not work, I'll just add that the biggest dpc latency spikes are when loading pages with large amounts of flash on the page.

Lunetouche

Date Joined Jun 2014

Posted 7/15/2014 1:27 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Having followed the steps the problem persists. While the problem is crippling with torrents, it is only the occasional blip under other internet use such as streaming from youtube etc, i imagine this is to do with the number of connections the firewall must process being much higher while torrenting.
The sfc scan reported no problems, neither did the adwcleaner. Servicesrepair was incredibly fast and didnt appear to actually do anything but that may just be the nature of the utility.
drivers are all up to date as well.

ComFox

Date Joined Aug 2014
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/17/2014 2:03 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
I am having severe issues with Firewall turned on. It causes my computer to go in to lag mode every 10 seconds or so...mouse stutters, keyboard input stutters. When I turn off the firewall it is just fine.

should I open my own thread for this or keep it here?

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 8/17/2014 4:08 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hi there,

A new firewall engine will be implemented in the next weeks (the engine is already being tested).

I will let you know once the update has been released.

Thanks.

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Lammy101

Date Joined Aug 2014
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/21/2014 6:33 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hi I am a paid up customer and having a terrible time with this issue

Can you please advise when the fix will be available ?

Spoke to your support who were no help at all

Regards

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 92

Posted 8/22/2014 8:29 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Robert Mateescu said...

A new firewall engine will be implemented in the next weeks (the engine is already being tested).

I will let you know once the update has been released.

Robert,

Purely out of curiosity (and if BullGuard allow you to say) does this mean that another firewall will be adopted instead of the Agnitum engine currently used in BIS?

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 8/24/2014 4:58 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hi NorthPole,

The collaboration with Agnitum continues, at least until 2015.

Best wishes!

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

ComFox

Date Joined Aug 2014
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/30/2014 3:06 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Any update on the new engine...not using a product I am paying for kinda sucks

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 9/15/2014 10:33 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hello after updating the firewall all the lag disappeared, but further programs to dpc latency show a conflict with the file afw.sys and tcpi.sys. Regards

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 9/16/2014 12:34 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Hi klimek69,

The firewall driver has been updated.
A new tweak will be released in the following days (285.x)

Thank you for your patience!

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 9/16/2014 4:10 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
Thanks for the info:) Regards

klimek69

Date Joined Apr 2014

Posted 9/16/2014 8:21 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latencyAlert an admin about: Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency
I'm sorry for asking, that I understand that as you enter the updates my version will change from 14.1.284.1 to 14.1.285.1. Well I understand it?

New Topic Post reply to : Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency Printable version of : Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, October 01, 2014 11:20 PM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,627 posts in 13,327 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36453 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, MervinArmstrong.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Bullguard antivirus offline (0)10/1/2014 5:08:09 AM (Sabuz Ahmed)