BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Cteng.dat files?

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Cteng.dat files?  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Cteng.dat files? Printable version of : Cteng.dat files?
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 96

Posted 10/15/2011 1:40 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
Since installing BullGuard 12, I am seeing large numbers of files of the form 'cteng_(long number).dat' in my C:\Windows\Temp folder. If I try to delete them, Windows states they are in use by the BullGuard email monitoring service, even when they are dated earlier than today's date. Is there any fix for this issue? I'm using Windows Live Mail as my email program, BTW.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 10/15/2011 10:50 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the tool I have attached.

Follow the prompts and let us know if you have any more problems afterwards.

If you have already tried everything and you did not succeed, read the instructions manual.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

File Attachment :
RemTemp.bat   1KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 496 time(s).

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 10/16/2011 4:23 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
I can see from examining the content of the BAT file that it will remove all Windows temp files from various folders in in Safe Mode; but I can't see how that will help, as new ones have been created today as soon as I logged on. They all seem to be related to a function called 'ctengine', which appears to be a database of potential spam sources. I'm attaching the content of the file ctengine_repl_kit_1.ini, which gives you an idea. 

File Attachment :
ctengine_repl_kit_1.ini   2KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 277 time(s).

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 10/16/2011 4:28 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
The files are part of BullGuard, so there is nothing to worry about. It would have been an issue if you would have been unable to remove them in Safe Mode.

Also please note that removing the temp files is a very good practice. I personally find that small tool very useful though there are others that can be used, like ATF-Cleaner from Atribune.

If you have already tried everything and you did not succeed, read the instructions manual.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 10/16/2011 5:01 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
Indeed, I do regularly clean up my temp files manually, which is how I noticed these ones were being generated. Not a worry, but they are going to build up to a large number in a very short period of time. Perhaps there's a need for BullGuard to have a housekeeping function for them, if there's not one built in already?

NorthPole

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 10/17/2011 1:42 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
OK, a little Googling this morning reveals that 'cteng' temporary files are produced by the IncrediMail application, which I assume BullGuard have switched to as their spam filtering component from whatever was used in Ver.10 and earlier? I have been looking at Cloudmark as a possible alternative, although there is already a spamfilter built into Windows Live Mail anyway.

Starlight

Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 11/28/2011 2:05 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Cteng.dat files?Alert an admin about: Cteng.dat files?
Hi and I know this thread was posted over a month ago but the answer to this problem for anyone else who has these cteng.dat files in their temp folder is that these files are related to the JunkFilter Plus component used as the spam filter in IncrediMail and can only be deleted if you completely close IncrediMail and then clean your temp folder jumpin jumpin

Have faith in yourself, and reach for the Sky,
Aim for the Stars, no matter how high.
Just follow your Dreams, they're waiting for You,
And you're the One who makes them come true.

Starlight Dreamwalker

http://www.starlightdreamwalkerscosmicsurfbox.com/

New Topic Post reply to : Cteng.dat files? Printable version of : Cteng.dat files?

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:34 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,670 posts in 13,331 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 2 new threads and 6 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36544 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, gsm ashik.
4 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Errors, warnings, infections, trojans and junk (6)10/21/2014 9:31:52 PM (Deb1957)
I very satisfy of this product and I decide to buy it (0)10/21/2014 12:33:09 AM (jaksum)