BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Empty tmp folders

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Empty tmp folders  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Empty tmp folders Printable version of : Empty tmp folders
46 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/5/2013 6:39 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I did what you asked: Reinstall without keeping the settings.
I included the screenshots so there will not be any discussion about that... (zipped)
Screenshot BG22 gives the result one hour later, after the first update...

As I predicted: reinstalling does not help...
If you do a first time installation of Bullguard 2013, there are NO resident files with settings. It should work from the beginning.
If a program is installed on 3 computers, and they are all giving the same problem (and it can not be changed in the setting), then it's a BUG!

Next post

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
BG22.JPG
  173KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 138 time(s).

File Attachment :
Screenshots.7z   529KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 85 time(s).

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/5/2013 7:41 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
OK, playing time is over, now I want to be taken serious.

(If not yet installed) download Microsoft's Process Monitor (www.sysinternals.com). = Procmon.exe
In attach you'll find BSupdate.log, so you can reference the time.

I logged while BG was updating, so you can see what the processes are doing. Since there is not enough space to
attach the complete file with all events I put a filter on it.
- path contains c:\windows\Temp\tmp0000
- Process name is BulguardUpdate.exe
- Process name is UpdatePatcher.exe
- Process Name is Bullguardscanner .exe

Unzip shortlogfile4-4-2013 16.03.PML and open it with procmon.exe
Picture BG22 gives c:\windows\temp after Update. Screenshot BG20 the situation before (previous posting)

Bullguardscanner.exe creates a tmp0000 file at startup, and sometimes it creates a new directory with a new TMP0000000 file.
Then it deletes the previous TMP0000000 file together with the previous Directory. This can be seen in screenshot BG24. You
can clearly see it uses: operation = SetDispositionInformationFile detail = Delete : True

When there are updates, BullguardUpdater uses a thread "UpdatePatcher.exe"
In screenshot BG29 you can see it creates every Directory in temp (together with a TMP0000000 file) that you find in BG22
(except 79f2 from BullguardScanner)

Tell me, where can I find the SetDispositionInformationFile of these Directories. Well, they do not exist, Updatepatcher never
gives a SetDispositionInformationFile... even not in the next update.

It simply creates a directory with TMP00000 file, uses it, closes it, and then leaves it for eternity...

So I suggest, you start simulating (on XP or Vista if necessary) as I indicated before, but trace on UpdatePatcher.exe

Greetz

Eddy Vl

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
BG24.JPG
  299KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 113 time(s).

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
BG29.JPG
  725KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 115 time(s).

File Attachment :
Logfile4-4-2013 16.03.7z   311KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 66 time(s).

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 4/6/2013 7:58 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Did you ever try to run the PcTuneUp to remove the ones that are no longer being used?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/7/2013 2:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I saved the logfiles when I started testing. Unfortunately I have a gap of 7 days between the last logging and the reinstall...
(old log ends: 2013/03/28 new log starts at: 2013/04/04). I did PC Tune Up in the in between time...
It did not remove the TMP files (They all where there from the day I installed Bullguard).

But to be sure I did PC Tune Up again. (I took screenshots while doing this, see attachment)
It found 4500 files in Windows Temp. In Fix problems it started to count down to 0.
After Tune Up, all files were still there...

File Attachment :
TuneUp Screenshots.7z   320KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 91 time(s).

File Attachment :
TuneUpEngine.log   52KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 113 time(s).

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/9/2013 10:50 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Thank you for all this information Eddy. I will check with the developers and see what is going on. I did not see this issue in a very long time, so we will need to see what is going on.

In order to analyze what happens with BullGuard, please take these steps:

1. Go to Start > Computer > C > Program Files > BullGuard > Support and run CollectLogs.bat.
2. The BullGuard logs will be created automatically on your workspace (Desktop).

Attach the archive to an e-mail message to support@bullguard.com and ask for them to be forwarded to me.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/10/2013 11:14 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I posted the logfiles at support@Bullguard.com as you asked. They dont want to pass it because they don't like my E-mail adres.

It put a considerable amount of time in this, starting from Windows Explores "Find" function untill now.
I'll advise Mr Dekort to Remove Bullguard and replace it by another anti virus program, since Bullguard doesnt want to solve the problem.

So you dont have to look any further...

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/10/2013 11:50 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. Please provide me with the ticket number from the e-mail (by private message).

Did you ask the message to be forwarded to me?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

jesoma

Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/12/2013 2:21 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. There are tmp folders being create everyday since the day I installed the trial version on 3/13/13. I like the product and was going to purchase a license but unless this is solved I'm not sure. I ran collectlogs.bat and it said ""BullGuard Logs.7z" was created on your desktop!" but i cannot find on the desktop or anywhere else.

Jeff

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/12/2013 2:38 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Until I receive an update from the developers, use the tool from below, to remove the Temporary Files:

/backup9.bullguard.com/share.php?share=0GVN9OXF

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/13/2013 3:20 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
OK, the developers had a look at the issue and PcTuneUp will be set to also remove the empty folders in update 13.260.

They will also be looking at solving the issue that generated the creation of the temporary folders in the first place, but this will take longer as the program currently needs that method.

Please use the tool above until the update is released.

Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding!
All the best!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/13/2013 3:32 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Ok,

the Batch-file is working, but I have made a "Beta" version:
Copy TMPcleaner.exe to c:\program files\Bullguard LTD or c:\program files
Rightclick on TMPcleaner, choose 'Send to Desktop".

You can drag it to "Start" --> Programs --> startup --> [ ]
Rightclick again and choose "Properties". Add <space>H on the right side of "Target".

The option H or h in the command line makes the program run "hidden".
In this case the program will clean the Windows/temp everytime you startup the computer.

It works fine with XP...

Eddy

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
TMP-prop.JPG
  34KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 117 time(s).

File Attachment :
TMPCleaner.exe   28KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 86 time(s).

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/13/2013 3:36 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Postings crossed...

Eddy

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/13/2013 6:46 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Thank you for making that exe and for the instructions. I am sure that non BullGuard users will find it useful.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/17/2013 7:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I dont want to be annoying but...
sad

As far as I can see, PC Tune Up removes only files in "Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Temp", but leaves the directories unchanged...

Furthermore it seems to remember the paths that should have been deleted. (and were not).
I fear for a large database or file with path/names from previous entrys in temp, that has to be searched when deleting files
(and the corresponding long search times).

Maybe this can be checked in the mean time...

Eddy
smurf

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/18/2013 11:49 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Eddy Vl said...
As far as I can see, PC Tune Up removes only files in "Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Temp", but leaves the directories unchanged...

That is correct. The tune-up currently deletes the files and leaves the folders. The folders are empty and do not occupy any hard drive space, but they are still there.
This will be fixed in the update for all the folders BullGuard TuneUp checks for infections.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 4/19/2013 12:15 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Ok, that would be nice...

In the mean time I've been programming to overcome this issue temporarely.
I have made a more extended version of tmpcleaner.exe.

It cleans up allmost everything, including folders that are not in use in :

- Windows\temp
- Documents and settings\UN\local settings\temp
- Documents and settings\UN\local settings\Temporary Internet Files
- Documents and settings\UN\cookies

It can be copied instead of the previous version.
!!!! Close all other programs before running it !!!!

Fot the moment it is running on 2 XP computers)

Eddy

File Attachment :
TMPCleaner.exe   44KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 90 time(s).

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 5/22/2013 5:49 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I posted the item about the empty TMP folders some time ago.

Any results?

Today I found 66 empty TMP folders....
And how about PC-Cleaning?

Eddy Vl

Nedim

Date Joined Jan 2013
Total Posts : 33

Posted 5/22/2013 8:50 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
I'm cleaning my Temp folder with CCleaner.

Open CCleaner→Options→Include→Add(Drive or Folder)→browse to C/Windows/Temp→and then select Options→Include Files and subfolders

Eddy Vl

Date Joined Mar 2013

Posted 5/22/2013 9:45 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Cleaning the temp folder is not that difficult, I wrote a little program to do this at startup in hidden mode.
CCleaner will probably do the same things, and with the command line option "Auto" it can run also in hidden mode (at startup)

The problem is that you have to run it daily or at least weekly, cause Bullguard adds daily about 40, 50, 60 folders (with one Empty file in it) to the temp folder.
(at the end of the year you're stuck with at least 15,000 empty folders)

These files and folders do not occupy usable space on the hard-disk, but the first part of the hard-disk contains the FAT-sector (or NTFS).
There are a number of cells provided to write the filename (attributes and so on). These files still occupy one cell for the folder and one cell for the file.

As far as I can remember, Windows can extend the fat sector if all the cells are occupied. (but then you loose usable disk-space)
But mostly there is enough room.

But if you want to create a new folder, for instance in "Temp", windows checks ALL files and folders that are already in that folder, just to make sure there are no doubles. So searching about 10 files instead of about 15,000 makes a lot of difference. Certainly if you need to do this about 40 or 60 times.

Other programs that use the temp folder experience the same phenomenon...

Thats why Bullguard should clean these folders and files when they are no longer in use, cause it slows down the computer and thats all what this is about.

Eddy

Nedim

Date Joined Jan 2013
Total Posts : 33

Posted 5/23/2013 4:30 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Andreea-Luciana Ostache said...
Eddy Vl said...

That is correct. The tune-up currently deletes the files and leaves the folders. The folders are empty and do not occupy any hard drive space, but they are still there.
This will be fixed in the update for all the folders BullGuard TuneUp checks for infections.

And when can we expect that?In this version or in a new one?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 5/24/2013 11:11 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Empty tmp foldersAlert an admin about: Empty tmp folders
Sorry guys but I am on vacation until June. The fix will be released in this version.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

New Topic Post reply to : Empty tmp folders Printable version of : Empty tmp folders
46 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:25 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,522 posts in 13,303 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 3 new threads and 8 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36154 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, waferisigadung.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Virus Through Email (3)7/23/2014 4:07:57 AM (Touch)
Firewall causing high CPU usage (5)7/22/2014 7:01:03 PM (rv1979)
Python.exe is malware?? (1)7/22/2014 12:51:17 PM (Touch)
Cant delete annoying music downloader help? (1)7/22/2014 7:44:23 AM (Touch)