BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads Printable version of : Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

PoodlePatrol

Date Joined Jan 2014
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/20/2014 1:52 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threadsAlert an admin about: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads
I have spent a fair amount of time navigating around the UI in BullGuard 2014 Internet Security 14.0.276.1, and something recently came to my attention.

After my browser-of-choice got unhappy about the general lack of available RAM and crashed, I re-started the application and resumed my previous session. Unsurprisingly my memory and CPU usage shot up again, but a large part of this was in an svchost instance, rather than the browser itself. Ever the inquisitive type I had a peek and noticed that this process was hosting BsMailProxy.dll (aka BullGuard e-mail monitoring service). This would be fine, except I had mail scanning disabled at the time, and opening new tabs in the browser correlated nicely with new threads starting up. With over 100 threads sitting there the memory usage for this process alone was a cool 355.6MB, which seems quite a lot for what is supposedly a disabled feature.

Delving back into the BullGuard settings I see 3 options for threading, as follows:
Antivirus > Manage Profiles > Advanced options > Number of scan threads: 4
Antivirus > Misc > File scan threads: 8
Antivirus > Misc > Web/Mail scan threads: 2

So this leaves me with three questions:
1. If file scan threads are 8, what is "number of scan threads" in the advanced options for the profiles?
2. If Web/Mail scan threads is 2, why are there over 100, and why am I able to start many more? (for example 15 new threads started with 2 new tabs loading webpages, that alone is well over this limit)
3. If this service is actually handling any of the web scan / safe results features in addition to email scanning, could you please rename the display name as it is wrong?

Incidentally, the BsMailProxy description is wrong anyway as it has been copy/pasted from the BsBhvScan service.

Looking forward to finding out what these settings are intended to do. All the best

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 2/1/2014 7:58 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threadsAlert an admin about: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads
It sounds to me that there is a problem with your system and your BullGuard. Could you please contact Support, by e-mail or Live Chat, so we can investigate?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 14

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

argosreality

Date Joined Jan 2014
Total Posts : 2

Posted 2/19/2014 5:00 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threadsAlert an admin about: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads
I decided to test this myself in a rather sadistic manner as I've noticed some performance issues when opening websites with Bullguard Premium 14 installed on both mine, and my fiances machine. Settings are

File Scan Threads - 12
Web/Mail scan threads - 2
Mail filter disabled

As previous poster described, an svchost process shot up substantially in both RAM and CPU usage. The bullguard.exe process itself didn't go over 120+ mb of RAM but cpu usage was erratic and overall performance was very...!!!!y. Granted, most systems don't like opening 108 or so tabs in Google Chrome but I wanted to see how bad it could get.

System specifications:
AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6Ghz (8 "quasi" cores)
8Gb DDR3 1886
Crucial M500 250Gb SSD

Haven't seen a similar performance impact from Kaspersky or Norton and the previous version of Bullguard 13 seemed to do better as well. I'll try upping the web threads and see how that handles

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 2/25/2014 2:43 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threadsAlert an admin about: Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads
That's most likely the Antiphishing engine that's going wild, in your case.
I will have to argue on the matter though. 200MB (with 100 actually working) is not that much, especially with as many tabs you have opened.
CPU was of course erratic, since it had to load and track so many pages with BullGuard also trying to protect all these pages and the traffic from it and so on.

I do not agree that your test is conclusive.

Yes, BsMailProxy handles more than one engine, so it's actually normal for it to have multiple threads. I did let our developers know about the name change.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 14

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

New Topic Post reply to : Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads Printable version of : Inconsistent thread settings / a tale of 100 threads

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, October 31, 2014 11:57 AM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 60,719 posts in 13,338 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 4 new threads and 6 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36599 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, margaret gonzalez.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Budget Kitchens London (0)10/31/2014 7:04:45 AM (rakpenak)
Cheap Kitchen Units In UK (0)10/31/2014 6:48:00 AM (mtkyytpw)
COMPUTER PROBLEMS (2)10/31/2014 3:00:32 AM (Deb1957)
Cheap Kitchen Units In Leeds UK (0)10/31/2014 1:45:44 AM (ceagceog8)
Bullguard dosent update to latest versions (19)10/30/2014 6:35:00 PM (LeoK)