BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp Printable version of : Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

hup

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 9

Posted 11/17/2012 9:22 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestampAlert an admin about: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
Whats do
Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp, settings?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 550

Posted 11/18/2012 6:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestampAlert an admin about: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
Hello Hup,

Whenever a file is read, windows places a time stamp in the description of the file, which tells you when that file was read/used last time. This feature helps you find a document you know you wrote sometime in September but you can't remember how you named it, for example.
When BullGuard scans your computer, the time stamp is changed.
The option "Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp" will prevent BullGuard to change the stamp.

Cheers.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

hup

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 9

Posted 11/18/2012 11:18 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestampAlert an admin about: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
I am confused

The support team say another thing

It stores the date of when the file was last modified.
If BullGuard so have scanned it since it was last changed, will it be skipped in the scan.

So there is no need to scan a file again if it has not been changed since the last scan.

This will then result in faster scanning.

Regards
Karsten Jensen
BullGuard Support

dallas7

Date Joined Sep 2012
Total Posts : 15

Posted 11/19/2012 3:07 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestampAlert an admin about: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
"This feature helps you find a document you know you wrote (it).."
No, that's Created.

"It stores the date of when the file was last modified."
No, that's Modified.

The third timestamp of the three commonly used is Accessed. Also known as Last Accessed.

From the BG online Help:

Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp: with this option enabled, BullGuard will not modify the Last Accessed date for the files scanned by the On Access engine. The Last Accessed date is visible in the file’s General tab from the Properties window. If the option is disabled, the Last Accessed date will be changed when the file is scanned by the Antivirus real-time scanner.

Last Accessed has an impact on system, as well as BullGuard, file management and performance.

Here are two links that might aid in further understanding:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/243272-last-access-timestamp-enable-disable-windows.html

http://windows7themes.net/speed-up-windows-7-by-disabling-file-access-timestamps-advanced.html

As I rarely use on access file scanning, I keep my BG-AV setting checked in order to preserve the Last Access timestamp.

Unchecking it, as Karsten noted, speeds up BullGuard.

Cheers.

"Machines making machines! How perverse." -C3PO
BullGuard AV 2013 - Online Armor Premium - Zemana AntiLogger - Malwarebytes Pro
• Win7hpSP1x64 • i7-3770K/Z77/AMD HD 7770 Tower • i5-2430M/H65/iHD3000 Laptop •

Post Edited (dallas7) : 11/19/2012 12:18:21 AM GMT

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 550

Posted 11/19/2012 1:24 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestampAlert an admin about: Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp
If you want to be extremely specific, here is a more correct explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp said...
A timestamp is the time at which an event is recorded by a computer, not the time of the event itself. In many cases, the difference may be inconsequential: the time at which an event is recorded by a timestamp (e.g., entered into a log file) should be close to the time of the event.

If you right-click on any file on your computer and select Properties, on the General tab you will find the Created, Modified and Accessed timestamps.

Let's take a Word document I created as an example:

I Created it on Friday, July 20, 2012 at 9:24PM
The last time it was Modified, was on Monday, October 08, 2012 at 3:39PM
The last time it was Accessed was Tuesday, October 30,2012 at 8:49PM

The option "Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp" will prevent BullGuard to change the Access stamp.

If I open the document and edit it today, both Modified and Accessed will change to today and Created will, of course, remain the same.

Accessed will be the same with Created and Modified if we create a new document today.

I always try to provide simple explanations, that our home users can understand, rather than writing something to prove my own knowledge and skills.

The conclusion is that the computer keeps track of the time a file was used and how and BullGuard can help preserve the last Accessed timestamp. Also, any kind of "on access" activity, means that it is using computer resources and it is slowing the computer down.
What my colleague told you by chat is that the Antivirus skips files that it has already checked. This way, in time, the scans will take less and less time to complete.

In hopes that the explanation meets your standards, do not hesitate to contact us whenever you need advice.

Cheers!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

New Topic Post reply to : Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp Printable version of : Preserve files ‘last access’ timestamp

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 02, 2014 9:56 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,585 posts in 13,313 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 5 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36300 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, marci.
2 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Bullguard Backup: 3 GB of files are "missing" but freespace calcuation seems to think they (3)8/31/2014 11:20:08 PM (Robert Mateescu)
Blocking of sites (5)8/31/2014 6:53:45 PM (Robert Mateescu)
Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency (15)8/30/2014 12:06:05 PM (ComFox)