BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Scanning at start up

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > Scanning at start up  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : Scanning at start up Printable version of : Scanning at start up
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014
Total Posts : 9

Posted 2/17/2014 9:58 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Hi very new user
i have used online chat who gave me an answer which i have no reason to disbelieve however i wonder if any other more experienced users have found a way of speeding up the scanning that goes on at start up.

as it stands when my Win 7 pc is switched on and i login the HDD light goes red and stays that way for many minutes - ( iwas online chat and finished before it had) and looking at resource monitor all i seem to see is bullguard i assume scaning files....dll, pdf you name it ms config shows 10 items in start up 2 of which are bullguard - just seems to take an inordinate amount of time for it to get through what its doing

is there anyway of limiting what is doing or at least speeding it up

scan is set to "never i'll start it"

thanks

bullguard premium

Oh and slightly different topic if i go into av profiles im not able to add or delete anything from quick or full scan - do i need to create a seperate profile if i want to say not include packed files?

Post Edited (wasted04) : 2/18/2014 8:20:27 PM GMT

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 2/25/2014 2:33 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
My personal advice is to let it finish what it's doing. When you install BullGuard on your computer, it will run all it's scans. After it has finished though, all the scans will run faster (it will only re-scan a file if it's changed) and the computer will not be slowed down at all by BullGuard.

You may be interested in running a SFC /SCANNOW command, into an elevated Command Prompt. This will ensure that no system files are damaged.

Also, a disk check (CHKDSK command, or right-click on the disk > tools > disk check) will speed things up, especially if the computer is not brand new.

Elevated Command Prompt: www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 14

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 2/25/2014 7:22 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
its finished its "startup" scan several times and its not any quicker - it still scans all types of files which as far as i can see are unecessary to do such as .ico .xml etc etc - why is this necessary - im about at the point of binning the software and chaking off to experience

no other AV software i have ever owned has done this

the chkdsk etc were fine the other day when i ran them

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 2/26/2014 3:02 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
How about the System File Scan?

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 16

Posted 3/26/2014 12:27 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
I have had the same problem for over a year with Bullguard running on windows 7 pro, I also have customer who have the same problem on windows 7 HP.

Reinstalls do not help.

System file checker does not help.

My impression is that bullguard is scaning all of the files in the "program files..." folder on every boot up.

Is their a registry key somewhere that informs bullguard to perform the initial scan after a fresh install? If so, is the flag not getting set to indicate to bullguard that initial scan has been completed?

It is the bullguardscanner.exe file / service bsscanner that is causing the problem.

Because this is a service you can exit out of bullguard and the service still runs.

This is causing me to lose productivity and money, it is slowing down my machine for over 30 minutes every morning and every time I have to restart.

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/26/2014 1:10 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Just had a chat with a support guy... apparently it is by design that bullguardscanner.exe scans the program files every time the computer is started.

Looks like I will be moving a/v solutions and my customers too... all 700+ of them.

Its a pity really, because I really like bullguard :(

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 3/26/2014 9:17 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
yep thats pretty much what i was told cant really see a point in it scanning .png files or .html files etc etc every single time i turn my pc on - does it REALLY need to scan all the contents of program files every time

me i'll be binning this software the day my subscription expires as frankly the impact on the start up and usability of my pc is a royal pain in the backside, real shame as otherwise i really like it but i want something that maybe just scans boot files on start up everytime not the contents of my two program files folders

dont know how everyone else puts up with it

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 335

Posted 3/27/2014 10:39 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Hi there,

Please note that you can exclude certain file types from scanning. To do that, open BullGuard and go to Settings ->Antivirus ->Tuning ->File types.
Here is a guide that may help you.

Cheers!

Robert Mateescu
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 2014

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/27/2014 3:31 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Robert Mateescu... Sorry to have to say this but you are wrong. You can tell the realtime scanner not to scan certain file types but not the "service" that runs when your computer first starts. You can "exit" from the main bullguard program and the "service" still runs, slowing down your computer.

But thanks for trying to help.

Regards

Steve

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 3/27/2014 6:38 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
I was just about to post that

yes you can exclude certain file types from realtime scanner but the service that starts at pc switch on is not optional -

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 4/8/2014 7:29 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
well i think finally im at breaking point and am going to take the finacial hit and drop this software for something which does not have the bullguardscanner.exe file / service bsscanner scan EVERYTHING in program files EVERY time i switch on slowing my pc practically to a halt until its done.

I can see no reason for it to scan files which have not changed - as pointed out this is not the real time scanner which does exclude file types if as albanycomputers said its designed to do this then its a poor choice

im done with this which is a shame because otherwise its decent package but for £50 id be expecting some control over what scans at start up!!!

mad

anniesboy

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 69

Posted 4/8/2014 8:48 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Agreed together if the awful start window ,i too may look elsewhere.
Trouble is I have about twenty months to run.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/10/2014 6:06 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
I still say there is an underlying issue beneath the scanner acting the way it does. I recommend that all users who experience issues like this contact us on Live Chat or e-mail.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 4/11/2014 8:32 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
hi
have contacted live chat - and turning off self protection option appeared to help - however this morning it seemed to have reverted to scanning everything and its dog....ive been asked to keep an eye on it a few times - the info and logs have been passed to technical

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 4/12/2014 7:17 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
Thank you! We will investigate your logs and get back to you as soon as possible.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 5/2/2014 8:00 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
well a wee update - was contcted and ask to send logs which i have done - twice and still it scans everything in program files most rritating - im a bit strapped for cash just now so im kinda stuck with it

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010

Posted 5/2/2014 11:22 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
PM me with your ticket number. You can take it from the subject of the reply we sent you. I will look into it myself.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

wasted04

Date Joined Feb 2014

Posted 6/7/2014 9:41 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scanning at start upAlert an admin about: Scanning at start up
PLEASE CLOSE THREAD

AFTER BEING UNABLE TO RESOLVE THE SLOW START UP ISSUE I HAVE HAD MY PURCHASE REFUNDED AND MOVED TO A DIFFERENT SOFTWARE

THANKS

New Topic Post reply to : Scanning at start up Printable version of : Scanning at start up

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:52 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 60,782 posts in 13,357 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 8 new threads and 5 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36858 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ronaldkevin0014.
5 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Trojan Horse Generic 12 (22)11/27/2014 9:46:08 AM (jenifer2)
Necht Cooker Hood (0)11/27/2014 7:03:36 AM (ceagceog24)
Cheap Kitchen Units (0)11/27/2014 6:44:04 AM (montormabor)
"Backup" did not complete due to error 102 (0)11/26/2014 11:29:09 PM (newfree)
Amazon infected download (0)11/26/2014 9:51:00 PM (J MAC)