BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
VMware Network Isue

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > BullGuard zone > BullGuard Customers > VMware Network Isue  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : VMware Network Isue Printable version of : VMware Network Isue
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

skozzy

Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 10

Posted 6/5/2011 6:19 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
Don't shoot me for not using search, type in VMware into it and it shows nothing, but google it and there was one post.

Anyhow, what is the latest way to get bullguard to automaticly let VMware work with the network. I find it odd I have to make a rule for it.

I am using VMware Player v3.1.4 build 385536 with the network set to Bridged -> Replicate physical network

And the post I saw explaining how to setup a rule for it doesn't seem to work for me, I have to disable the firewall to get VMware to go online.
I made a low level rule, enabled all the in+out rules, as for the host I added and tried both my Windows IP and the virtual IP of the VMware client. Not sure which to use.

Surely this issue should be built into Bull Guard to allow VMware to work.

Tavi
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 170

Posted 6/17/2011 9:12 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
Hey,

Can you please provide us more details regarding your VMware setting? Do you have BullGuard installed on the computer and virtual machine as well?

Cheers,

Octavian Arvunescu
Senior Support Technician

Please read the forum rules before posting

Try BullGuard here

skozzy

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/17/2011 4:19 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
VMware Player is installed on the computer I use, which runs Windows 7 64bit and a Registered version of Bullguard. The default bullguard firewall profile prevents VMware from reaching my router. I did find a post where someone said to make a new rule to allow a single IP full access to the computer, then go into the VMware machine and set a manual IP, I did that and it works, but defeats the DHCP server part of the router, and I have many VMware Machines from OSX to Linux and several old flavours of windows and other free OSs. Having each one use DHCP was so much easier, and my previous Internet Security package I had for the past 10 years had no problems with VMware and the way it uses the network.

So i have a work around for it now, but it's not a solution, to me a solution is having VMware work with DHCP while Bullguard is installed on the Main OS.

I don't bother having virus checkers inside the virtual machines except when I make a backup of someones infect/crashed computer that I am fixing.

Tavi
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 6/17/2011 7:15 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
Unfortunately this workaround is the current solution, but if you want to further troubleshoot this issue, you will have to send us the Firewall logs (after you disable the custom rule and run the system for a couple of hours).

Cheers,

Octavian Arvunescu

Try BullGuard here

skozzy

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/18/2011 4:26 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
[Is there something wrong with the forum when it comes to replying to posts?
 I keep getting stopped with a warning about waiting 1 second between posts
 as some spam filter, only thing is it lasts for 15-30 seconds not 1 second]

Well I can live with the VMware/BG Firewall issue for my Windows VM's but I am
a little stuck with some of the linux distro's cause when I set manual IPs they
don't seem to work. What I do for now is disable the firewall, let the VM start up,
find what IP the dhcp server gives them, then edit the BG firewall rule for it, then
restart the BG firewall. A little bit of work, at least not impossible.

I see the original problem was found a few years ago, is there any priority with
finding a solution that doesn't need user intervention.

I'm am glad BG has it's own firewall. I was with Trendmicro for the past 10 years
and recently they dropped their own firewall in favour of using the default
windows firewall. Not a good move in my opinion as hackers spend more time
trying to get past windows security measures then a targeted attack against
a single Virus company.

Thanks again.

Tavi
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 6/18/2011 8:06 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
First of all regarding the VMware issue, out Development team is working on the next BullGuard version and this is one of the known issues that should be solved.

Secondly, I am aware of the post warning and although the settings are correct, I suspect the forum does not refresh the post status as it should. I will look into it, of course :-)

Cheers,

Octavian Arvunescu

Try BullGuard here

JEB

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/20/2011 6:19 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
I have just upgraded to Windows7 Pro with Bullguard 10 currently downloading (on previous account)
I need to install Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC.
Do I need to install Bullguard 10 in the virtual PC also

skozzy

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/21/2011 10:54 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
Interesting question more for the fact does it count toward one of the extra licence keys when buying a multi user licence. Till now I zip up a fresh install of my OS in VMware and use a trial/demo virus checker and when it expires I delete the VM and unzip the backup and repeat the cycle. Would be easier if we are allowed to use the same serial in the VM as the Main OS that runs the VM

Cmwa

Date Joined Jun 2014
Total Posts : 1

Posted 6/10/2014 7:59 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: VMware Network IsueAlert an admin about: VMware Network Isue
This issue is nt solved.
It still exists in Version 14.1
VMware machines can't get an IP address from te DHCP server.
The firewall log shows that the returning packet from the DHCP server sent to port 67 is dropped by the friewall.
This is a very strange behaviour because a rule exists in the firewall for DHCP.

New Topic Post reply to : VMware Network Isue Printable version of : VMware Network Isue

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:39 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,521 posts in 13,303 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 3 new threads and 7 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36142 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, rv1979.
3 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Virus Through Email (2)7/22/2014 9:14:43 PM (tbush004)
Firewall causing high CPU usage (5)7/22/2014 7:01:03 PM (rv1979)
Python.exe is malware?? (1)7/22/2014 12:51:17 PM (Touch)
Cant delete annoying music downloader help? (1)7/22/2014 7:44:23 AM (Touch)