A GREAT DEAL
Buy Now  |  60% off

What is Internet of Things?

Posted 6/16/2016 8:16 PM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 632

Hello everyone,

Since we have launched the IoT scanner, we have received questions about what it actually is and I felt I had to come with a little more "simplified" information.

Most of us have a router at home. We get it from our internet provider, plug it in and just start connecting our devices to it. Well, since the explosion of the device market, in the recent years, we didn't have to think about the vulnerabilities our own network may have.

Nowadays though, we connect everything to the internet. If we connect a laptop, tablet, or phone to our network, these usually have security programs on them. If you connect your printer to the network though, to name one device, then of course you don't have a security program on it.

Well, you would possibly think, what would a hacker ever do, even if he got access to my printer?

Print as many pages as the printer has sheets for one, which would definitely be unpleasant, but not quite a major issue. However, if you think that the printer is connected to your computer, which is generally set to allow it to communicate unchecked and bypassing security checks, then things get serious.

The printer is one device, but in recent years, we connect more and more devices to the internet. We connect watches, owens, refrigerators, Smart TVs, Xboxes, Play Stations, Media stations, you name it!

The BullGuard IoT scanner is designed to help you stay safe by pointing out what vulnerabilities you have, if any.

Our statistics say that out of the users that tried our scanner, most had at least one vulnerability! If you are safe, great! But what if you are not?! My advice? Try it! It's 100% free (both the initial scan and the deep scans are free and do not require any registration): http://iotscanner.bullguard.com/ My best regards to everyone!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 6/17/2016 3:03 PM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 632

Scan results: What to do with the information? How to control it? What does this mean to me?

If the scan finds any vulnerability, it will tell you about it, namely which port you have open.

From this point on, the first thing you need to do is search your port on your favorite search engine and see what applications use that port, to see the extent of the vulnerability. One particular case is port 7547 which is ISP specific. They use this port to check your router for issues, remotely.

Let's say you have port 7547 open. If I were to type your IP address and that port in the internet browser ( for example: 205.304.21.1:7547) I would see the login interface for your router. If you did not change your default username and password for the router I could, theoretically, have control of your router. The ISP that use this type of connection say that even if I would be able to connect, I wouldn't be able to make any actual changes, without their software. This means you have nothing to worry about, but BullGuard's recommendation is to make sure you change the default username and password your router comes with. The information on how to do that is usually found on the ISP support page.

If you are not sure what to do about the vulnerabilities, please contact us here or directly through support@bullguard.com or Live Chat and we will help you!

Best wishes!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 7/26/2017 3:07 PM

MaxSlo Member

Date Joined Jul 2017
Total Posts: 6
Wonderful service that scanner. Really really good idea. 

Fixed a vulnerability bug in an LG Smart TV that was exposed to the external!

IoT: a wonderful world full of possibilities (i really love IoT when properly managed), but a world full of... bugs... :S

• Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 3:04 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,346 posts in 13,491 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,076 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, joefear.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.