BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
High alert! Beware or infection!

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus information > Alerts & New Threats > High alert! Beware or infection!  
Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Post reply to : High alert! Beware or infection! Printable version of : High alert! Beware or infection!
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 7/16/2012 5:23 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: High alert! Beware or infection!Alert an admin about: High alert! Beware or infection!
In the past months, the "malware community" has been busy launching and testing all sorts of infections and attacks.

They are always searching for new ways of breaching security, but lately I have seen an increase of their efforts and even results:

1. Yahoo stolen passwords:
Yahoo said...

Yahoo! confirmed that a file from its Contributor Network (formerly Associated Content) containing approximately 450,000 Yahoo! and other company users names and passwords was compromised on Wednesday (11.07.2012).

Original story on news.yahoo.com/hackers-post-pilfered-yahoo-passwords-173504468.html
And here news.yahoo.com/hackers-claim-steal-450-000-yahoo-accounts-103212183--sector.html

2. NVIDIA Developer Forums Hacked
Original story on www.securityweek.com/nvidia-developer-forums-hacked

3. Microsoft Advises Customers to Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets
Original story on www.securityweek.com/microsoft-advises-customers-disable-windows-sidebar-and-gadgets
And: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2719662

4. Stolen Best Buy passwords being used to buy stuff
Original Story www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/stolen-best-buy-passwords-being-used-buy-stuff-878370

And the list goes on with Toolbars distributing infections on users computers, browser hijacks when you install various programs, phishing sites being more and more like the original and thus harder to trace, with serious infections that cripple the operating system.

BullGuard takes security very seriously.

What you need to do about it:

1. Change the passwords for your accounts.
BullGuard offers our users the means to encrypt and backup files. This is useful for encrypting really important information.
You can easily create a document, in which to save all the passwords for your accounts and then encrypt them and back them up on the online drive. This way, you can keep track of your passwords in a secure way, which enables you to change the password for your accounts as often as you like.
Oh and by account I mean everything, from e-mail address, to social network (Facebook, Twitter, etc), to blogs and forums and so on.

2. Use passwords that have at least 8 characters, at least one digit in them and at least one capital letter.

3. Never use the same password on accounts that you use to register using the same e-mail address.
For example, if I set my password to be the same for my e-mail address and for a forum to which I register using the same e-mail address, in the eventuality that the forum get's hacked and my account is stolen, they hackers also get access to my e-mail and from there it's a domino effect.

4. Keep your software up to date.
Start with Windows, then your security suite, but it is just as important to install updates for Flash Player, for your e-mail client, for Java, and for all your other software.

5. Take control of your computer.
Before we use any kind of tool, we need to read the instructions. The computer is no exception. There are millions of articles on how to use your computer.
Searching the internet for how to do something may turn up less time consuming than waiting to get professional support.

6. Get professional support.
BullGuard has 24/7 support and we are proud of it. If you have an issue or just questions regarding your security, we are always glad to help.
I know that is a great marketing punch line but it also the truth.

7. Please be responsible with your browsing!
If I purchase a car and slam it at 200Km/h into a wall, I can not ask why the car did not protect me.

Until next time, all the best!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

rlow

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 15

Posted 2/2/2014 2:16 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: High alert! Beware or infection!Alert an admin about: High alert! Beware or infection!
Doesn't help that Bullguard consistently fails to identify and deal with the worst offender - TRpatch R Gen. Failing top deal with it I can accept - it is a difficult virus to get rid of for any antivirus system. But identifying it? Even Avira manages that.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 2/3/2014 10:21 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: High alert! Beware or infection!Alert an admin about: High alert! Beware or infection!
While I understand you are frustrated with the fact that you have problems with your computer, please allow me to disagree.

Each security suite names infections differently. TRpatch R Gen is the name Avira gives to that infection. I recommend that you read this forum post on their website: forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=115113 I see no advice using Avira to remove it, but free tools.

You see any security company is fighting the same thing, so there are no conflicts, just healthy competition. The goal is to keep people safe.

I am afraid that I have to note that, if you think TRpatch R Gen is the worst offender, you know nothing about real offenders and what they can do.

Lastly, most security suites to not remove PUPs. The term PUP was first used by persons at McAfee's Avert research lab to avoid any legal issues that may arise from calling these types of applications "spyware". You may not be aware of this, but there are real companies behind some of these PUPs, which defend their product, as unwanted as it can be some times.

If you want to be secure, you have to be willing to learn the basics of what that means. There are a few simple steps that you can take, which will keep you safe at all times.
Follow the steps Touch is giving you and you will be relieved of the problem www.bullguard.com/forum/10/TRpatch-R-Gen_96555.html

Support, which is free of charge at BullGuard, is there for any time software (automated processes) fails, one way or another.

If you have a problem, contact us with confidence. We are here 24/7.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 14

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!