BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus information > Alerts & New Threats > Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security  
Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Post reply to : Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security Printable version of : Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 520

Posted 1/7/2012 8:04 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile securityAlert an admin about: Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security
Hello all,

Smartphones are new, cool and everyone wants one or already switched to one. However, these are more like a computer than a phone and a lot of us use it for social media, fun, games and financials, not just making calls.

I always brag about being a very organized person, so I have an app that helps me track my expenses and daily events. Also, I have installed and I am using a bar code scanner, to keep track of prices and offers.
However, this brings me to writing this small warning about Malicious QR codes.

A Quick Response (QR) code is a type of matrix barcode that can store alphanumeric characters, in the form of text or URLs. All you need to “vizualize” such a code is a smartphone with a camera and a QR reader application to scan it – the code can direct you to websites or online videos, send text messages and e-mails, or launch apps.

An example:

The downside is that you don’t really know the content of a QR code until you scan it.

A popular attack via QR code took place in Russia this fall, and involved a Trojan disguised as a mobile app called Jimm. Once installed, “Jimm” started to send a series of expensive text messages ($6 each), racking up unwanted charges.

This is a free forum and I usually refrain from advertising BullGuard, although it's hard not to, but I do use BullGuard Mobile Security on my smartphone and I highly recommend it to anyone with a compatible operating system, especially using Android.

Bottom line is, unfortunately, scammers and hackers are always inventive and up to date with the latest trends. Just as you would on your computer, be careful not to visit random links, just because the icon of the application is a cute mascot, and be extra careful when you scan barcodes and QR codes.

A complete article on this topic can be found here: www.bullguard.com/bullguard-security-center/security-articles/malicious-qr-codes.aspx

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Post reply to : Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security Printable version of : Malicious QR codes - The new tool for scammers to breach your mobile security

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, April 25, 2014 11:41 AM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,381 posts in 13,280 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 6 new threads and 12 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 35793 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, sevensiix.
1 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Stilhaus Kitchens Review (0)4/25/2014 7:54:41 AM (sevensiix)
Kitchen Design Lancashire Reviews (1)4/25/2014 1:22:36 AM (VegemiteKid)
Bullguard not shutting off Windows Firewall (2)4/25/2014 1:18:30 AM (VegemiteKid)
HOW TO REMOVE WIN32:SALITY VIRUS (3)4/25/2014 1:02:27 AM (dulc88)
Fitted Kitchens Glasgow (0)4/24/2014 4:15:09 PM (Tambah)