BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
New Trojan/Worm?

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus information > Alerts & New Threats > New Trojan/Worm?  
Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Locked Topic Printable version of : New Trojan/Worm?
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Nieeru

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/20/2010 8:46 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Hi there guys!

So, here at home we're running BullGuard on 3 computers (We have a 3pc License from the old Gamer's Edition that was sold in stores) and it's been going good. We recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit and thought we'd be more than safe for the time being, until today.

First, my fiance's computer went ape!!!!, BullGuard posting over 40 Notifications of the Antivirus Alerts where common Windows files and exe's were tagged as infected, with the infected process being BgGamingMonitor.dll or BgWsc.exe. Virus name identified as Trojan.FakeAlert.5.

After a struggle with constant popup notifications of blocked viruses, we decided to restart her computer, just to have the entire thing repeat itself and files getting quarantined. (It's now not displaying any programs anylonger, Aero and skinning in general is gone from it and the Control Panel shows no items.) Continued to do another reboot just to check, the Windows Startup Fix thing started running.

I go over to my own computer and to check up on the virus name, just to have the exact same thing happen to me and our laptop. (I've not yet restarted, just ignoring the virus alerts popping up.)

We're not that heavy on the downloading and only use uTorrent from trusted Torrent sites commonly only downloading tv-series and the likes, we don't have file-sharing enabled on either of the computers as it's uncessesary when we have 32gig usb flash drives we can transfer things over with and we haven't had any contact with the rest of the computers internally except for being connected to the same Network. (Modem connection with a splitter along the way and Wireless on the Laptop.)

I've tried disabling bullguard and installing Avast or AVG, but they momentarily after starting get eaten up so it's impossible for me to do a Virus scan even through external sources. (Bullguard's own won't run or even start because of this apparent Threat).

Have anyone seen something like this before? I'm not really good at these things either.

Cheers,
- Arnt.

Post Edited (Nieeru) : 20-03-2010 17:47:32 GMT

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 16

Posted 3/20/2010 8:49 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Seems to be a problem with the latest update... see other threads

Marcharius

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 7

Posted 3/20/2010 8:49 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Thanks for the post Arnt. Several of us are having the exact same problem and you've described it spot on. It's only hit my Windows 7 PC and everything you say above I've tried or is happening to me.

I've posted on the following:

http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/10/So-Bullguard-suddenly-started-_83955.html
http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/15/Bullguard-is-saying-everything_83956.html

Nieeru

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/20/2010 8:58 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Ah, good to know it's just not me and my fiance having this problem then.
Have there been any break in fixing this !!!!ed problem yet? (Looked at the posts btw)

Marcharius

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/20/2010 8:59 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
I'm currently waiting on Live Support

sisprite

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 3/20/2010 9:03 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Hi Guys

Ditto. I have a new PC with trial version installed and its going loopy. If I leave it it disables one program after another, and short of killing the power I cant stop it. Restarting the PC makes Windows 7 repair the damage, but Bullguard simply starts killing my PC again....

How do I get out  of this then?

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/20/2010 9:05 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Boot into safe mode with networking support and download bullguard off the website, uninstall the current one and reinstall the old one, but don't let it update to latest version.

XspeedstarX

Date Joined Nov 2009

Posted 3/20/2010 9:06 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Also having the same problem on 2 of our 3 computers.  one running windows 7  one running vista. waiting to hear from tech support too.

Marcharius

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/20/2010 9:17 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Tech Support says that there is no virus and basically it will be fixed when it's fixed. I'm not happy with this level of service

Nieeru

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/20/2010 9:29 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
It seems like BullGuard use some of BitDefender's files? Or something like that.
Apparently BitDefender messed up badly on one/some of their file/files and that lead to this. So for the moment, I've gone into Safe Mode and disabled the antivirus and live antivirus scanning on BullGuard. Seems to stop the problem.

Though if you set it to automatically delete quarantined files, you're probably screwed beyond imagination since as soon as an update is ready for it, we can just restore the false-positive files.

XspeedstarX

Date Joined Nov 2009

Posted 3/20/2010 9:47 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
This has been posted to the live support web page

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Maintenance

We would like to notify you of the fact that around 16:40 GMT our Antivirus engines started flagging different Windows files from 64-bit operating systems as infected with "Trojan.FakeAlert.5".

Detection was removed shortly after that, at 17:18 GMT, but some machines were already affected by this update.

At this moment, our recommendation to deal with this problem is the following:

1. Double-click on the BullGuard icon in the system tray and open the console.

2. Choose the Antivirus plugin and then turn it off.

3. Next, go to Quarantine section in order to recover your files.

4. Select all the files in the list and click on the "Move back" button.

5. Update BullGuard and then turn the Antivirus back on.

Thanks for your understanding.

We deeply apologise for any inconvenience this is causing.

Kind regards,

BullGuard Support Team

tids

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/21/2010 11:50 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
I was hit by the Trojan.FakeAlert5 message manyy times, rebooting made the matter worse, most of my executables and windows functions were destroyed by that stage. I was cursing bullguard for not protecting me.

I have completely re-installed windows, as a nice surprise, the windows installer made a windows.old folder on the c drive which contains all of my old data.

I have spoken to Live Support regarding this and they have offered and I have accepted an extended subscription for an extra 15mths.

I must admit confidence in Bullguard is low at the moment.

I will make sure I take regular backups and see how it goes I guess.

Drone

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 3/21/2010 3:31 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
I think it was an earthquake at Bitdefender and Bullguard. This 2010 is very strange year in all aspects. But im happy that bullguard will extended subscription for an extra 15 months for us who was affect by this strange "earthquake" on Windows 7. I think Windows 7 is not mature for maximum protection, so we must make on our own some backup of system and private documents. But lets see i have hope that Bullguard will raise again from the ashes ... jumpin

AlbanyComputers

Date Joined Mar 2010

Posted 3/21/2010 3:51 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Its not a windows 7 issue, and you should always have copies / backups of your important data.

Sadiegirl

Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 3/21/2010 3:53 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
I had the same trouble, but could do absolutely nothing after I tried to get rid of the alerts.  In the end my computer switched itself off and I couldn't reboot successfully.  In the end I did the recovery program which put my status back to the factory settings, so I lost all of my data.  It had been backed up online by Bullguard, but I couldn't download any of it back on to my computer.  Bullguard tried to help, but the info they gave me didn't work.  I ended up having to open all of my backed up files and saving them back to my computer. It wouldn't work on some of them though. Unfortunately, because I had run out of online storage weeks ago, a lot of them were not current.  Luckily I have only had the machine for six months and I still have the old one, so things like photos which were still on my old machine I deleted from the online back up and will copy them from my old computer.  I am a bit lax on backing up files, too trusting I suppose, but this is the very first time something like this has wiped out all of my data.  I am now resolved to backing everything up myself on a regular basis, and the old fashioned 'hard copy' is still a useful commodity!
If you have your data backed up and are still having problems, perhaps what I did may be an option.
My Bullguard subscription has now gone back to trial status, and although I am paid up until September, it's telling me I only have 6 days trial left.  I mentioned this in my live chat to Bullguard, who didn't respond to it (I expect they were a bit busy yesterday).  I am sure this will have happened to most people, so I am hoping tat Bullguard will put this right.  When I checked my account online, it has the correct info and says that I am paid up to September.  Will have to wait and see if it gets put right on my application.
Good luck everyone.  I am shattered now as spent most of the night trying to get files put back and trying to retrieve email addresses, although all my emails have disappeared. Would appreciate it if anyone knows how to retreive emails back on to Microsoft Outlook. Thanks.

heymanhowman

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/21/2010 6:40 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
I was hit with this bad release too.  I blamed my teenage son of course for introducing what seemed at first sight a rampant viral infection.  Bullguard regarded itself as "infected" and did away with the uninstall program as well, so I couldn't follow BG's remedy procedure.   A significant proportion of my installed apps also became unlaunchable, having disappeared from Program Files folder.  I restarted in safe mode and started up the restore service and did a restore to Sat 20 March 10am.  That has sorted one PC out. 
I have another which I upgraded to Bullguard 9.0 on BG's advice as 8.7 had been stuck for weeks allegedly trying to install an important update.  It now won't connect to the LAN de!!!!e applying a couple of restores. 
I trust the test manager is getting his/her cards...

Tavi
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 170

Posted 3/22/2010 4:05 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: New Trojan/Worm?Alert an admin about: New Trojan/Worm?
Please post all the Trojan.fakealert.5 related inquiries on this thread

Cheers,

Octavian Arvunescu
Senior Support Technician

Please read the forum rules before posting

www.bullguard.com