BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus information > Alerts & New Threats > Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!  
Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Post reply to : Please Help. Can't turn computer back on! Printable version of : Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

NSW1313

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 54

Posted 12/27/2008 1:20 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Hello

I was at my mothers for the holidays and installed and ran Malwarebytes on her computer. 14 objects infected. Great! Not anymore.

The next day I was surfing and Avast (her protection) popped up with a virus alert. No big deal. Closed out everything and ran a full scan with Malwarebytes. I started watching the t.v. and the computer goes into low power mode/screen saver while the scan runs. I check it 15-20 minutes later and it won't respond or come out of low power mode/screen saver. After typing and moving the mouse around and trying to get it to respond from the blank/black screen I finally restart the computer via power button. The computer gives several long beebs and doesn't start up but the computers fan continues to run and the lights stay on. Nothing but black on the screen. I unplug everything but the power cord and get the same thing. Several long and loud beebs with the computer running but not completely. I unplug the power cord and plug it back in and nothing.

She has a dell with windows xp.

Touch or anyone have any idea what this is?
For now I can only guess that it is a hardware problem with the tower because its not operating right......but did the virus do this?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

Post Edited (NSW1313) : 27-12-2008 01:32:59 GMT

Touch
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 12978

Posted 12/27/2008 9:04 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Hello

It sounds like you have to do a repair. Have your mother a Windows cd ?

Do NOT post your problem in someone elses thread.
A non-profit, volunteer network.

NSW1313

Date Joined Jun 2008

Posted 12/27/2008 8:35 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Hi there,

Don't know if she has one. I'm guessing that she doesn't. I'm trying to get in touch with her. I'll be back as soon as I know.

Touch
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2004

Posted 12/27/2008 10:03 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Ok smile

NSW1313

Date Joined Jun 2008

Posted 12/27/2008 11:52 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Hello

She doesn't think she has one and either do I unless dell regularly sends the cd out with the computer even though it is already installed. Do you know if they do?

Let's assume she doesn't have one. I'm guessing your reply is going to be that she has to get one?

True/False?

NSW1313

Date Joined Jun 2008

Posted 12/31/2008 12:57 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Hello Touch,

She doesn't have one. Any other suggestions or ideas? Can you please tell me what we have to do after we acquire the windows xp installation disc.

Thanks.

Touch
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jun 2004

Posted 1/2/2009 8:47 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!Alert an admin about: Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!
Looks like you have to do a repair ->

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm