BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus information > Alerts & New Threats > Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded  
Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. Post reply to : Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded Printable version of : Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 308

Posted 1/11/2012 12:44 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
Does anyone know of the following scam:

You receive an email from a trusted contact bearing just one word word, ie perhaps 'INCREDIBLE'

You click on to the link expecting to open a picture - nothing appears to happen.

Your email contacts folder is then highjacked and the link forwarded to all your contacts.

How high is the threat level of this malware; does it only affect certain email accounts.

Thanks.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 1/11/2012 8:32 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
This, unfortunately, is the type of malware no one can protect you from but yourself.

The threat is only as great as the people who actually click on that link.

I will refer you to my previous post about social media hijacking:
You should always be careful when you click!
I can not emphasize this enough.

This type of malware can affect anyone, with any type of e-mail. The e-mail itself is not malicious and neither is the link itself. The path that the link leads to is the actual malware.
Moreover, our antivirus can not catch this, since nothing is happening on our computer, except our request to visit a link.
There are a few e-mail providers that help you disable links and images within e-mail messages, but this is not enough sometimes, since you can easily unhide/unblock these links and images.

Thus it is ultimately our job not to click on stuff we do not know about. We should always ask ourselves: Would person X send me "INCREDIBLE. CLICK NOW OR ELSE YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THE TRUTH!!!???!!!!!" messages? In 99% of the cases that will not happen.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

Dickens
Trusted Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 308

Posted 1/11/2012 10:19 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
Thanks for the timely advice - I had not heard of that particular scam before a friend contacted me in a bit of a panic.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 549

Posted 1/12/2012 12:59 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
Thank you for keeping an eye out for stuff like this and sharing it with us!

I am sure someone will find this useful, or will at least know where to ask for help.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!

PaulP

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/25/2012 11:40 AM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
We should be responsible enough to keep in mind that we must be aware all the time. As reported by the online security giant, McAfee, spam emails containing the term "Valentine" in the topic heading increased enormously last year between Jan. 20 and Feb. 14. The Valentine's Day scam season is upon us again. Fraudsters use words like "love" and "romance" routinely to lure in victims, and that becomes even more rigorous this time of year. Customers have to know what to try to find to be able to stay away from these scammers. Resource for this article: Avoid Valentine Day scams in search for love

kuttus

Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 17

Posted 2/14/2012 12:16 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
Change your Password ASAP

Use a Strong & Smart Password Like this

Create a password that's hard for others to guess

Choose a combination of letters, numbers, or symbols to create a unique password that's unrelated to your personal information. Or, select a random word or phrase, and insert letters and numbers into the beginning, middle, and end to make it extra difficult to guess (such as "sPo0kyh@ll0w3En"). Using simple words or phrases like "password" or "letmein," keyboard patterns such as "qwerty" or "qazwsx," or sequential patterns such as "abcd1234" make your password easier to guess or crack.

goo.gl/IuAQt

mark1vm

Date Joined Apr 2012
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/30/2012 7:02 PM (GMT +2)    Quote: Scam - Email Addresses ForwardedAlert an admin about: Scam - Email Addresses Forwarded
I have seen something like that  but not of my pc my android phone it was an email forwarded with my name to everyone saying my name no subject and think you will be interested when opening and sent to my  contacts it was an ad where it sends you to a page of a site then when trying to get out of it of course it wont let you and it will send you to another page ect and  and when you open internet again brings you to their page to remove you have to go into phone settings and browser settings and clean cache ect out to get back to normal ,so .my motto you send me something I send one back to worse .i had to change all email passwords and since then it has not happened again so-far .and I have webroot complete installed but of course it did not catch it.so there is  more stuff going around on the phones then the pc for now.all a matter of time until it effects everything.be-aware and be safe.