Please Help. Can't turn computer back on!

Posted 12/26/2008 10:20 PM

NSW1313 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 55
Hello

I was at my mothers for the holidays and installed and ran Malwarebytes on her computer. 14 objects infected. Great! Not anymore.

The next day I was surfing and Avast (her protection) popped up with a virus alert. No big deal. Closed out everything and ran a full scan with Malwarebytes. I started watching the t.v. and the computer goes into low power mode/screen saver while the scan runs. I check it 15-20 minutes later and it won't respond or come out of low power mode/screen saver. After typing and moving the mouse around and trying to get it to respond from the blank/black screen I finally restart the computer via power button. The computer gives several long beebs and doesn't start up but the computers fan continues to run and the lights stay on. Nothing but black on the screen. I unplug everything but the power cord and get the same thing. Several long and loud beebs with the computer running but not completely. I unplug the power cord and plug it back in and nothing.

She has a dell with windows xp.

Touch or anyone have any idea what this is?
For now I can only guess that it is a hardware problem with the tower because its not operating right......but did the virus do this?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Posted 12/27/2008 6:04 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12976
Hello

It sounds like you have to do a repair. Have your mother a Windows cd ?

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

Posted 12/27/2008 5:35 PM

NSW1313 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hi there,

Don't know if she has one. I'm guessing that she doesn't. I'm trying to get in touch with her. I'll be back as soon as I know.
Posted 12/27/2008 7:03 PM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Ok :smile:

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

[/color]

Posted 12/27/2008 8:52 PM

NSW1313 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hello

She doesn't think she has one and either do I unless dell regularly sends the cd out with the computer even though it is already installed. Do you know if they do?

Let's assume she doesn't have one. I'm guessing your reply is going to be that she has to get one?

True/False?
Posted 12/30/2008 9:57 PM

NSW1313 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hello Touch,

She doesn't have one. Any other suggestions or ideas? Can you please tell me what we have to do after we acquire the windows xp installation disc.

Thanks.
Posted 1/2/2009 5:47 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Looks like you have to do a repair ->

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

[/color]

• Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 2:02 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,160 posts in 13,449 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 2 new threads and 3 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 37,965 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Old shape.
There are currently no users on-line.