BullGuard
 HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumView The Member ListHelp
What is explorer.exe?

BullGuard Antivirus Forum > Virus Removal > Removal Tools > What is explorer.exe?  
Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post reply to : What is explorer.exe? Printable version of : What is explorer.exe?
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

millyon

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 3/21/2011 6:04 AM (GMT +3)    Quote: What is explorer.exe?Alert an admin about: What is explorer.exe?
i was doing some looking around and i opened a folder in my documents called new folder in it was eXplorer.exe spelled exactly that way eXplorer.exe(capitol X). it also had a funny looking symbol beside it (a red one )i then did a scan on it with avg anti virus and found it to be malware. the only explorer.exe file you should have should be in your windows folder but fake explorer.exe programs will hide in other folders and be hard to detect by anti virus programs so do some custom searching. good luck!

Robert Mateescu
Forum Moderator

Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 288

Posted 3/17/2012 8:24 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: What is explorer.exe?Alert an admin about: What is explorer.exe?
Hi there,

Explorer.exe is a heuristic reserved name. It can be a valid Windows file (a file manager application that allows you to "explore" trough your files and manages the displayed windows -together with dwm.exe in Vista and later- and other processes) or any random application.

Note that I sometimes rename a disinfect tool (combofix, for example) to iexplore in order to trick the virus into not blocking it.

Generally, most AV solutions will quarantine or delete any explorer.exe file located elsewhere than C:\Windows.

Cheers!

Robert Mateescu
Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 12

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

Normando José Vasconcelos Mendonça

Date Joined Mar 2012
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/25/2012 4:03 PM (GMT +3)    Quote: What is explorer.exe?Alert an admin about: What is explorer.exe?
Explorer (service into Windows Operational System) is identified as explorer.exe and is located into C:\WINDOWS folder. Another file, identified as explorer.exe is found into C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. Both of them are 1.012 KB and those modification dates must be compatible with other install files into your Windows version.
Any other file identified in a different way or in a different folder, must be faced as infected file that can put your system in danger. Use a reliable AV, as BG is, and scan your machine using the complete verification.
In addition you can use an antimalware tool, like MalwareBytes, and scan your machine looking for possible malwares.

New Topic Post reply to : What is explorer.exe? Printable version of : What is explorer.exe?

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:27 PM (GMT +3)
There are a total of 60,601 posts in 13,318 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 3 new threads and 9 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 36357 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, davidgross.
4 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
5 Latest Threads
Bullguard 2014 Firewall and high DPC latency (19)9/16/2014 5:21:49 AM (klimek69)
Cheap kitchens Milton Keynes (0)9/16/2014 4:50:19 AM (qilokoanto)
Kitchen For Sale St Albans (0)9/16/2014 2:50:38 AM (ShinHyemi12A)
Slow Performance Since Installing Bullguard (3)9/15/2014 12:41:35 PM (Robert Mateescu)
Bullguard Backup: 3 GB of files are "missing" but freespace calcuation seems to think they (5)9/13/2014 3:08:24 PM (Robert Mateescu)