The original version of this page can be found at : http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/11/Windows-Live-Mail-Backup-failu_96726.html
Posted By : xmasbread - 3/10/2014 8:06 PM
Bullguard Backup regularly freezes when backing up Windows Live Mail Messages with Bullguard Backup; and, until recently, the Windows Live Mail tool bar was frequently replaced on start-up with a black bar.

The tool bar was always restored after a restart, or failing that a reboot.

Last evening Bullguard Backup again froze when backing up Windows Live Mail. This morning the Windows Live Mail tool bar was again replaced by a black bar. After both restarting Windows Live Mail and then a re-boot the black bar remained. After a further re-boot I attempted to carry out a Bullguard backup of Windows Live Mail. Bullguard Backup opened the Windows Live Mail and programme and , surprise surprise, successfully backed up the messages AND the tool bar was restored.

There is little doubt that Windows Live Mail and Bullguard have an uneasy relationship.

I post this in case anyone else is faced with this issue.

Posted By : Dickens - 3/10/2014 8:51 PM
Hello xmasbread.

Re: Windows Live Mail tool bar replaced with black bar.

Until I saw your post I thought I was the only one with this problem! More than two years ago I spent many happy (?) hours trying to fix this issue. I had the problem with WLM 2011 both on a destop and later on a new a laptop.

Neither BullGuard Technical Support nor answers.microsoft.com could help me with a solution. If you Google, 'Windows Live Mail Home Toolbar missing on startup' you may find my posts on answers.microsoft.com, dated 22 Feb 2012.

I gave up in the end - like you I think it is a BullGuard/Windows LIve Mail clash. The black bar on the toolbar seems to appear for no particular reason and will often stay away for many days.

Incidentally, I have recently updated to Windows LIve Mail 2012 and the black bar has appeared again.

Please let me know if you find a lasting fix for this annoyance - I can honestly say I tried almost everything.

I don't think the black bar has anything to do with BullGuard Backup - right now my Backup Scheduler is disabled and I still see the black bar at times.

I quite like Windows Live Mail so I guess I will just have to live with the issue.

Post Edited (Dickens) : 3/10/2014 5:53:22 PM GMT

Posted By : NorthPole - 3/13/2014 2:15 PM
Like Dickens, I upgraded a few months ago to WLM 2012 (which itself received a recent Microsoft update), although in my case it was from WLM 2009. Although I haven't experienced a black bar, I do find occasionally that neither the WLM nor the Bullguard toolbars load at all - this usually resolves itself by restarting WLM. I don't use Bullguard Backup at all, so that plays no role. I do feel that the issue is due to some interaction between the program's own toolbars and the Bullguard one, though.

Posted By : Dickens - 3/13/2014 5:03 PM
Yes, I think it is definitely a BuillGuard/WLM clash. Considering all the work I did to resolve the problem that can be the only reason.

I won't bore you with a long list of what I did, but very briefly:

Checked video cards on Desktop and Laptop - all ok.
Did numerous re-installations of WLM 2011 ensuring that all previous WLM files were erased before re-installing.
Sent several log files to Microsoft answers - no issues found.
Re-installed BullGuard on several occasions.
Checked for both hardware and software faults on Desktop and Laptop - nothing found.
Drank more than several glasses of Chenin Blanc but missed a number of good TV programmes while trying to fix the problem!

Post Edited (Dickens) : 3/13/2014 2:16:02 PM GMT

Posted By : NorthPole - 3/14/2014 8:41 PM
Dickens said...

Drank more than several glasses of Chenin Blanc but missed a number of good TV programmes while trying to fix the problem!

Dickens, your fault-finding sessions sound a lot more enjoyable than mine!

Posted By : Robert Mateescu - 3/14/2014 11:38 PM
H there,

Here is what I recommend:
1. Open your BullGuard and go to Settings ->General.
2. Uncheck the "Allow BullGuard to protect its components against termination" box.
3. Reboot the machine.

Let me know if the problem still occurs.

Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 2014

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly: www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!

Posted By : Dickens - 3/14/2014 11:59 PM
Hello Robert,

Have followed your steps - as the Windows Live Mail tool bar problem is an intermittant fault I will get back to you after a few days.

:-)

Posted By : Dickens - 3/24/2014 5:42 PM
Here is my follow up to Robert Mateescu's advice.

I performed all of Robert's steps. After five days and having switched WLM on and off about 5 times each day I did not experience the blacked out toolbar.

After five days I rechecked the 'Allow BullGuard to protect its components against termination' box and rebooted my computer.

To date I have noticed just one incident of the WLM blacked out toolbar.

I think that the latest version of Windows Live Mail (2012) may be more stable than the older version. I am certainly not getting the blacked out toolbar as frequently as before.
-->