How to use the Firewall
This guide will show you how to use the BullGuard Firewall.
IMPORTANT! The Firewall is a very important section of any Internet Security suite, so we recommend using the guide below only if you know what you are doing, or you have received instructions from our Support Team. If you are not familiar with computers, it is recommended that you team up with a computer-wise friend, or contact our Support Team.
What is a firewall?
A firewall is a special computer application (or module within a security suite, such as BullGuard) whose purpose is to monitor and protect your computer from any unauthorised network traffic. Think of it as a guard at your door.
Why do you need a firewall?
Without a firewall, you computer is vulnerable to almost any type of network attacks and malware. We recommend using a firewall at all times you are connected to the Internet.
How can you use the firewall?
Our firewall is included within the BullGuard Internet Security suite. We recommend using this guide if you want to know more about configuring it or need to perform any changes.
Open the Firewall
First, you should open your BullGuard application. Double-click the BullGuard icon near the clock and click on the Firewall icon.
How to edit the Custom Security profile
Using this guide, you will learn how to edit your Custom Security profile.
First of all, choose the Advanced user interface level in the Firewall section's Overview tab.
Go to the Profiles tab to see your Custom Security profile and double-click it to open the settings window.
The Custom Security settings are organized under several tabs. Here is a short description of these.
- Application Rules lists all permissions and rules for the applications on your computer that require an Internet/network connection.
- Advanced Rules contains all advanced rules related to your Internet or network connection.
- Low Level Rules lists the low level rules that apply to your network/Internet connection.
- System contains ICMP settings and a list of trusted/untrusted LANs you use.
- Logging is where you can tweak various Firewall log settings.
- Security Settings has its own guide, which we recommend your read: I want to enable, disable or edit the Intrusion Detection/Attack detection system.
- Notifications lets you decide how BullGuard notifies you when a security event occurs.
IMPORTANT! The settings window is an advanced configuration panel for the Firewall. BullGuard's Custom Security profiles comes with default settings we consider optimal, but which you can edit according to your needs. Please do not edit them unless you know what you're doing and contact our Support if you need help.
Remember to press OK and Activate to confirm the changes you make.
Congratulations! You are now able to edit your Custom Security profile!
The BullGuard Team
If you did not find the solution you were looking for, please feel free to contact our Support.
Top of page