Once BullGuard is installed and running on your computer, you can open it and use its various features to scan your computer, backup files to a safe location, setup your Parental Control profiles or configure the Firewall to match your network security needs.
The BullGuard main screen provides quick access to the application's main features and the Settings where you choose how the various modules behave and function on your computer. On the main BullGuard window you will also find recommendations for actions you can perform to improve your computer’s security.
In order to access all plugins you may need to scroll to the right in the interface using the vertical scrollbar.
The Home page includes the following 2 important functionalities:
- Access to each plugin's most important actions, from the (...) button in their respective boxes.
- Information on each plugin's state - problems or errors will be displayed by a text message in the plugin's box. The border color and checkmark icon will also change, depening on the gravity of the problem.
The BullGuard toolbar includes:
- the Update button so you can manually download the latest virus definitions if so desired.
- the Settings button, where you can alter options for all BullGuard plug-ins.
- the Messaging Center where you can access actions that are in progress and reports for all modules.
In the lower left corner of the main application screen, you can find your BullGuard username and the application version.
Under the main toolbar, you will also see the following 2 options:
- the Support button, which will lead you to our Support page, from where you can contact us.
- the Shop button, which will lead you directly to our buy page.
Please find the plugins from this section and a short explanation listed below:
Antivirus: takes you to the Antivirus plug-in where you can create custom scan profiles, scan your computer using one of the pre-defined profiles or review and manage Quarantined files.
Firewall: click on this button to go to the Firewall module where you can edit rules, review network events or check your Firewall logs in case you need to further fine-tune the module to match your network settings.
Spamfilter: allows quick access to the Spamfilter module where you can manage both your whitelist and blacklist or start configuring the Spamfilter to suit your email client.
Vulnerabilities: this plug-in allows you to review the list with outdated software that represents a potential danger to your computer’s security.
Backup: through which you can create profiles to backup important information remotely, to our secured servers, or locally, on an external drive or on CDs/DVDs.
Parental Control: helps you manage your children’s online behaviour. It allows you to set up profiles through which you can define what programs they can use on the computer, what websites they can access or whether they can use the computer or the Internet connection.
PC Tune Up: plug-in used for optimizing your computer’s performance.
The Settings section provides quick access to all the options and features available for the BullGuard Internet Security modules.
This is where you can:
- enable or disable features
- turn each BullGuard module on or off
- change the behaviour for each BullGuard module
General section: provides you with access to settings governing the entire application and allows you to manage your account or change update parameters.
Antivirus section: provides access to the BullGuard On Access module settings. These settings allow you to customize how the BullGuard real-time monitor works and behaves and what items will be scanned.
Firewall section: allows you to customize how the Firewall monitors network traffic and set threshold limits for attack detection and prevention. It also enables you to customize the Firewall engine to work with your network in case it needs specific customizations.
Spamfilter section: allows you to configure the Spamfilter’s general behaviour.
Parental Control section: allows you to set what items are monitored by the application and to choose how BullGuard reports any events on the monitored account.
Vulnerability Scanner section: allows you to set scheduled scans for vulnerabilities in the installed applications.
Backup/Restore section: allows you to tick the scheduled backup on or off or restore tasks.
PC Tune Up section: allows you to enable/disable items that the Tune Up module will scan for and to set a schedule for regular scan tasks.
The Messaging Center provides access to actions that are in progress and Reports for all BullGuard modules. It can be accessed by:
- clicking on the button from the upper right hand corner of the screen,
- clicking on the progress bar of a module in the Main screen
- by selecting Reports or Logs from the (...) drop-down of a module (where applicable)
If any actions are in Progress you will see (x) where x is a number next to the All category and next to the plugins that are currently performing actions.
The In Progress tab
Clicking on any category with (x) next to it will display the action(s) in progress. You can pause it by clicking on the button or stop it by clicking on the button.
A left pointing arrow next to an entry means that it can be expanded to reveal more information by clicking on the progress bar.
The Reports tab
Clicking on any category will bring up the reports for that particular plugin. Depending on the severity of the find they will be marked with one of three icons:
- - means high severity - either an error has occured or an action is required from you and it is important that you take the time to look into it
- - means medium severity - actions are required however it is not critical
- - means no or low severity - the action has been completed without errors and no input is required from you
Click on an icon to expand it and then use the button available to take an action.