Vey briefly about internet security
The term ‘internet security’ is used to describe software which protects your computer, the data on it and ultimately yourself, from being exploited online. ‘Internet security’ is usually a compilation of different types of security software - such as antivirus, spamfilters, firewalls and antispyware – a so-called ‘suite’.
Protect your computer and back up everything important on it
Extraordinary and indispensable tool that it is, the Internet also exposes you to a variety of online threats.
Internet crime is on a continuous rise, and the only way for the typical user to defend himself is to choose and continuously update an internet security product.
It’s also a good idea to continuously backup your valuable data – photos, music and important files - on an online drive. That way you can retrieve it regardless of whether your computer crashes as a result of online crime, is stolen or destroyed.
Do you have questions about internet security?
The BullGuard Support Team is available to answer any questions about internet security in general and BullGuard’s products in particular. You do not have to be a paying customer to use our Live Support.
Our Live Support is available 24/7, with a guaranteed 1 hour response time.
How to stay safe – it’s this simple
The be-all and end-all of keeping your computer safe:
1) Always keep your security software active and updated. Click here, to find out why
2) Always keep all your other software updated. Click here, to find out why
Read the article “Keeping your computer up-to-date”
3) Apply common sense:
• Never e-mail your passwords to anyone
• Never e-mail your banking or credit card details to anyone
• Don’t put personal details in your online profiles – e.g. full birth dates, names of children, husbands, wives pets, parents – because you’re probably using those details in your passwords!
• Don’t send money to people you don’t know – and certainly not if they promise you a huge amount of money for your troubles. To be paid later, of course … (read our article on the Nigerian scam)
What are the risks online and do you really need to know?
If you’re like most people, you resign when it comes to staying informed and alert about online threats.
What matters to you is that you are protected against any and all online threats. The details of how are not so important.
And that’s fine. With a good internet security product you can let someone else - someone like BullGuard, say - worry about that.
All the same, you might be curious to know a bit more about what online crime entails, and perhaps learn what all the words you keep hearing actually mean – words like ‘spam’, ‘spim’, ‘spomments’, ‘virus’, ‘phishing’ and ‘keylogging’.
Here, we have collected a bunch of articles explaining what it’s all about.
So next time you’re at a dinner party, you won’t have to resort to nodding knowingly – you can actually make insightful comments about the nature of the beast!
Was this article helpful?