Security & Privacy

Security & Privacy
when you work from home

Removable disk does not open on double-click; displays autoplay on right-click

Posted 5/31/2007 10:23 AM

Farads Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
Please help me: Whenever double-click on my removable disk (on usb), it asks me to choose the program with which i want to open the drive. Then, if I right-click on the drive, I see among the options "Auto" (in bold), "Autoplay", "Search", "Explore", "Open" e.t.c. It opens quite alright when I select "Open" but I'm not satisfied.
I expect that its normal for a drive to open on double-click, but now, it's otherwise and this situation really scares me. Worst of it all is that, this affects any new removable disk I insert into my system's usb. Is there any way to remove this problem and stop it finally? I use Windows XP SP2. (However, the Local Harddrive, C:\ does respond normally). Thanks. Farads.
Posted 5/31/2007 10:31 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12974
Hi Farads

Try this -

Go to Start/Run and type/copy in: regsvr32 /i shell32

Reboot

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

Posted 6/1/2007 9:14 AM

Farads Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Thanks Touch. I tried the start/run regsvr32/ishell32 as you suggested but it gives me an error message. I would appreciate still, any further solutions or ideas that would help. Cheers, Farads.
Posted 6/3/2007 9:35 PM

abosharu Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
hello Farads
you can solve ur problem right

just select all ur data in ur usb and past it in any partion at ur hard disk then format ur usb drive
and u must have anti virus as symantec and check if ur anti virus is up to date
then check it by right click on it and choose scan
then format it again
now when u click double click on ur usb will open directly
enjoy ya man

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:
abosharu
Posted 6/5/2007 6:44 AM

Farads Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Thank You, Abosharu.
I tried your idea and it worked! But you know..., I really thought there would have been some easier way of achieving it - transferring file contents as large as 40Gb from a usb disk is not a very easy task for the computer or its user. All the same I went thru it.

If there is however a brighter solution (in case of future emergence of a similar problem), it will be warmly appreciated. Thank you once again for your help.

Farads.
Posted 6/14/2007 11:33 AM

Marten Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I have a similar problem, but not with my usb disk, but with all of my disk partitions! can anyone suggest any help for me pls?
Posted 12/10/2007 8:27 AM

totoypasmado Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
don't reformat you drive yet

visit this link and you'll be fine

https://fivepointsome1.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-remove-autoplay-option-from.html

from a person more talented than us..hahahah

prevention is better than cure...spread the news >>>
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 3:28 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,777 posts in 13,634 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,580 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, mn3m.
There are currently no users on-line.

Just a minute

Privacy has never been so important.

Nearly 50% of online users are now using a VPN to protect their privacy.

Find out why

…and if it grabs you bag yourself a VPN bargain.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.