BIOS not recognizing password

Posted 7/20/2015 10:01 PM

kHaoS Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 47
I recently added an admin password in my BIOS setup, I then set it to secure my PC demanding that password at power up. The password setup is; 2 numerals, one capital letter followed by 5 small letters and one capital again, 2 numerals. Example: 12AbcdefG34.
It seems there has been some sort of misunderstanding between me and my BIOS though.
I tried entering the password, and got "invalid password" like 20 times, I then noticed that while holding the SHIFT key it didn't seem to record any symbol.

Fiddling around some, trying various close alternatives, I managed to get into setup after a few minutes.
I guess that the letters I used with the SHIFT key obviously has some other exotic meaning to my BIOS than I intended, because whilst trying to reset the password in the BIOS setup, it STILL won't accept my password.

So my question is: Is there a way for me to find out if my BIOS is reading my keyboard input in another way than I want it to? Like for instance; it thinks my European keyboard is American?

Thank you
Posted 7/21/2015 8:07 AM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 422
Hi kHaoS,

Can you please provide me with your BIOS manufacturer and version? Also, what keyboard do you use and how it is connected to the computer (PS2, PS/2, USB, wireless)?

Cheers!
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: https://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 7/21/2015 9:17 AM

kHaoS Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hello Robert, thank you for the fast reply.

The manufacturer is listed as "American Megatrends Inc." and the version is 1.6, SMBIOS version 2.7 according to my system information.
My motherboard is the MSI H77MA-G43 and their webpage list the BIOS as "ClickBIOS II" an UEFI BIOS if that helps...

/Jocke
Posted 7/22/2015 7:48 AM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 422
Hi Jocke,

Unfortunately I can not find any information regarding the functionality of the "Shift" key whilst in AMI BIOS. The support page for MSI H77MA-G43 uses a different naming system for their releases.
At this point I recommend you to contact MSI, as I am not sure if you have discovered a bug or this is a not commonly used feature.

Best wishes,
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: https://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 7/22/2015 8:07 AM

kHaoS Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Ok, thank you very much for your time. I'll get in touch with the company that assembled the thing for me.
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Monday, December 16, 2019, 5:20 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,754 posts in 13,626 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 1 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,556 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, aniaaa.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.