Serious problems with Windows Update

Posted 1/2/2016 3:48 AM

Deb1957 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 78
I have a Gateway desktop, 64-bit with 4 G's of RAM memory. I am running Windows 8 and my computer was wiped clean and put back to a factory restore about 2 months ago. It has been running fine up until 2 days ago I started getting a pop-up on the screen about checking for updates. When I close the pop-up it keeps coming back about every 30 seconds. I have tried checking for updates but the program just keeps running and running and does nothing. I have ran the Update Troubleshooter and this is what comes up:
Troubleshooting Issues Found:
Potential Windows Update Database error detected - Error Code 0x80073712 - Repair Windows Update Database corruption.

Windows Update Components must be repaired - One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly - Must be repaired.

Potential Issues that were checked:
Default Windows Update data locations have changed - The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired.

I understand kinda what these mean. the problem is I don't know how to fix these issues. I hope someone can help me to fix my computer update problem.
Posted 1/2/2016 10:54 AM

Advanced member

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 1/3/2016 4:44 AM

Deb1957 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Ok I clicked on the link above and it sent me to a website that kinda gave me some useful info. I did as instructed using Admin Command Prompt and ran the ScanHealth, it came back with Error Code : 14098 The component store has been corrupted. It also showed where log file can be found. Then I ran the CheckHealth. It came back as component store is repairable.

This was helpful, unfortunately it still doesn't tell me how to fix these issues. Now that I know the component store is corrupted and it's repairable, I just need to know how to fix it. Can you help?
Posted 1/3/2016 6:05 PM

Deb1957 Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I also tried running the command: sfc /scannow. It came back as: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

What does this mean?
Posted 1/17/2016 7:25 AM

Advanced member

Please try and run the Update Readiness tool from the page I linked.
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 1/24/2018 6:45 AM

Lorein Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
Getting an update error is common, there are many cases seen when the users start facing the update error while updating or trying to download the update.

In many cases simply restarting the PC or performing a SFC scan and running DISM scan help you to fix the update error. But as you said you have already performed these both scan but found no help.

So here try to reset Windows Update components and check.

1. Press Windows key + X Command Prompt (Admin)

2. On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste the commands (all at once without bullets).

• net stop wuauserv

• net stop cryptSvc

• net stop bits

• net stop msiserver

• ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

• ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

• net start wuauserv

• net start cryptSvc

• net start bits

• net start msiserver

• pause

1. Exit the command prompt and check if it helps.

Hope doing this will help you but if not then do let me know...
Posted 1/26/2018 4:43 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
Deb1957 - if you can't fix WIndows Update any other way, you could try installing the updates manually. Take a look at this page:

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

It has helped myself and other Windows 7 users in the past when the normal update method failed to work.
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Monday, December 16, 2019, 6:05 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,754 posts in 13,626 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 1 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,556 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, aniaaa.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.