Inconsistent, choppy browsing upon installation of BullGuard 8.7

Posted 10/8/2009 5:31 PM

KrunchiePops Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
I must firstly say that I like BullGuard - it has a solid, dependable and reliable feel to it, and the BullGuard corporation seems to value it's customers, and the target market.

However, I wanted to check on the topic above (Inconsistent, choppy browsing upon installation of BullGuard 8.7.) on here, as I was not encouraged by the response from support staff, or more precisely, the measures that were suggested I undertake to possibly ameliorate the problem.

I experienced slow, inconsistent browsing after installing BG 8.7. I have a Norton IS subscription and had just recently upgraded to NIS 2010, and while reading up about it, read again about BullGuard, which wasn't amongst the 6-7 suites I trialled 18 months ago. Decided on Norton then but it took a number of suites to choose - why not try BG? Could be better! So after fully uninstalling NIS, I installed BG 8.7. I only mention this as backstory, using Norton my internet browsing had been fast and smooth.

Essentially, BG lengthened my startup time considerably, and rather badly affected my browsing experience (not unlike when your ISP is having a tough day).

I contacted support firstly via Live Chat, whereupon the support staff member suggested that an email should be sent to me, explaining further actions to be taken. This turned out to be a (very nicely worded, thumbs up BG!) request to send a sysdump logfile and a Hijack This logfile, and instructions as to how to go about this.

Fine, easily done.

The response was quick, and pinpointed some "areas of concern". In the main, these were to deactivate UAC, uninstall Peerguardian 2, and also uninstall Infineon's Security Platform Suite. All three were identified as conflicting with BullGuard.

This is where my confusion, and frustration, lies. Elsewhere on this site, a post refers to re-installation of UAC post-installation of BG; that it is recommended to deactivate UAC before installing BullGuard but it can be safely reactivated again after. I am unsure why this would be the case, but if so, there is no warning to do so if one is using Vista or W7 prior to install.

Secondly, I am very unsure as to why BullGuard and Peerguardian 2 conflict. It does not auto-start on my system, it is not active unless I physically activate it, yet it is supposed to be in conflict. I hadn't used Peerguardian 2 at all - and furthermore, it's a program that I do use on a varied basis, and would not wish to uninstall. Nor is PG2 a program that has been problematic for any other scanner or suite I have ever used.

Thirdly - and even stranger, is the advice to uninstall the Infineon Security Platform Suite. Now, this program is used to operate and access the hardware Intel TPM module on my laptop, as with many other laptops. I haven't configured the program for passwords, biometrics etcetera, but it is part of the factory default programs that Asus installs. I may not be using it (the TPM chip), but I also don't want to remove the only software that will control it should I need to! This program again also has never been of any concern to any scanner or security suite in the past.

So at this point in time, I have been asked to disable UAC (which I personally like, I understand many don't), uninstall a program I find essential to my online experience (Peerguardian 2), and uninstall the program that controls the TPM chip - essentially disabling all biometrics and usage of the chip, and some of the functionalities of my laptop.

All to regain a normal browsing experience.

I queried especially Peerguardian 2 and the Infineon program, as I was loath to uninstall them. The reply I received was to especially uninstall PG2, and to uninstall/deactivate everything else suggested in the initial response. (This included switching off Windows Firewall {if active - no} and Defender - somehow Defender had been activated, either by Norton upon de-installation or BullGuard upon activation, I had noticed the registry entry in the Hijack This logfile for Defender with interest, as it had never been activated prior nor appeared on a Hijack This scan - no big matter)

In the end, after sleeping on the issue, I decided that I actually wanted to keep using UAC, and to keep both PG2 and the Infineon programs. So, I've re-installed Norton for the meantime and decided to post on here, reasoning that I might gain further insight as to the problem. Browsing has returned to normal, as soon as I took BG off and put NIS back on.

At this point I would love to continue on with the trial of BullGuard, I like it a lot, but not enough to jettison UAC, PG2 and TPM management. I was and am still hoping that a solution can be found; I'm all for this product and the company, and I was planning on buying it should the trial run smoothly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Posted 10/9/2009 7:12 AM

Alin Vlad Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 389
Hi,

First of all, i'm really sorry for this incoveniences, but in order to proper investigate the issue i need your BullGuard username and the ticked codes of your interactions with BullGuard Support. You can send them by PM and i will do my best to help you.
Alin Vlad
Community Manager
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download Free Trial version of BullGuard

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 10/9/2009 1:47 PM

KrunchiePops Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Thank you Alin, I have sent the information you require in a PM.

I sincerely appreciate your help in this matter!
Posted 10/11/2009 2:37 PM

Alin Vlad Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 389
Sorry for the delay. I will get back to you tomorrow when i will be at the BullGuard office to be able to access the database
Alin Vlad
Community Manager
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download Free Trial version of BullGuard

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Thursday, January 20, 2022, 3:42 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,946 posts in 13,685 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,662 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Star1.
92 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.

Just a minute

Privacy has never been so important.

Nearly 50% of online users are now using a VPN to protect their privacy.

Find out why

…and if it grabs you bag yourself a VPN bargain.