Issues encountered while trying to purchase subscription

Posted 12/1/2014 5:19 AM

teamtempest Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
I'm trying to point out some problems I had while trying to purchase a subscription version of Bulldog. Some of them you may never have considered.

The background is that I bought a computer for my aged father a few months ago which had Bulldog pre-installed. In fact, the reason he needed a new computer is that he is extremely careless about Internet security and lost his old one to ransomware I could not remove.

The three month trial will be over in a week or so, and the software has been nagging him about it. Because he needs a "set it and forget it" solution, he wanted a three-year subscription. (with a discount code the price wasn't too bad, although I see that the price is even better with the Black Friday pricing for new users. Is that available for trial users upgrading to subscriptions?)

However the purchase remains uncompleted at this point. Some problems:

1) My credit card issuer declines to allow foreign transactions.

I'm in the United States, my card issuer says the transactions occur in London. They don't like that and refused to authorize the charge. I tried twice, since all I got in response was "declined" with no specific reason.

Once I got home I found an e-mail from my card issuer asking if the charge was originated by me. I think it's okay now, but I won't be able to try it again until I go back to the nursing home.

2) When paying by check, the site wants the page to be printed and included in the envelope.

It's nice that so many payment options are available, but "print the page" doesn't work so well when there is no printer attached.

Oh, there's a printer, but it was never installed on the new computer. It also turns out that this particular printer - an HP LaserJet 1100 - is not on the list of built-in printers Windows 7 knows about.

However Windows 7 will recognize that it is connected to a LaserJet 1100 and will search the Internet to find the proper driver...somewhere...and then spend an hour downloading it (only 12MB - the nursing home may be throttling the connection speed) and a few minutes installing it.

Of course the whole thing turns out to be useless, as although Windows 7 knows there is a new printer, apparently IE11 does not (yes, the purchase page has been kept open all this time, waiting to be printed...). Perhaps IE enumerates available printers when it starts up and thereafter assumes that what it finds is all there ever will be. Pity it doesn't seem possible to refresh that list as easily as one does a webpage.

3) XPS files are way more trouble than they're worth

So the page can be printed to an XPS file, as an XPS "printer" is by default installed and IE is aware of it. That file can then be e-mailed as an attachment to another computer that does have a printer attached...but apparently not any software that will open an XPS file. Oh, IE - 9, in this case - is supposed to be able to, but it claims "security settings prohibit". I'm too disgusted at this point to bother figuring out what to do about that.

4) Saving the web page doesn't work either

Yes, this can also be done and the result sent as an attachment. Same idea as above - open it on a computer that does have a printer. Doesn't open up very well, though. What an awful lot of scripts and other junk have to be downloaded for that page to display at all. I got bored with the process quite quickly and closed what was still at that point a completely blank window (then I looked at the mess that constituted the source code of the page. Yuck!).

So in sum: I spent a two or three hours trying to order your product and have nothing at all to show for it. If it was for myself, I'd have given up long before and moved on to some other solution.

Is this really the experience you want customers who are trying to buy to have?
Posted 12/2/2014 3:35 AM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 422
Hi teamtempest,

I am very sorry for this inconvenience.
The cause of the issue is that most US banks block international payments in order to prevent possible frauds.
Try contacting your bank/ card provider and approve the payment.

Best wishes!
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: https://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 12/2/2014 11:13 PM

J MAC Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
I can certainly sympathize with your card being blocked, I tried to make a £3 donation to Wikipedia the other day which failed after which a received several automated calls to my home from my UK bank about fraudulent oversees use (to the US) and spent 20 min on the phone resolving.

But from your detailed post I'm not sure Bullguard is the main culprit of your complaint obviously it is not the experience they would like customer to have but first and foremost it was the banks responsibility to process the payment and Microsoft refresh the printer list!

Another suggestion could be to get it retail I ordered mine online just the other week.
Posted 12/8/2014 4:18 PM

teamtempest Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Even after speaking with my credit card company the transaction will still not go through. Presumably the same "foreign transaction" problem.

A direct bank debit seems attractive. I was expecting something like the ACH transactions my nasty utility companies require in order to avoid surcharges. These are much like credit card transactions, but use the bank routing and account numbers found on any of my checks.

Turns out the site doesn't do anything like that. I found a lot of information I didn't really want about the DESTINATION bank when all I really wanted was a couple of input boxes to provide the information I had in hand about the SOURCE bank.

In the end PayPal worked - the only one of the many many options that actually was simple, quick and effective.

So now I won't have to deal with this again for another three years. With any luck it will be easier at that time.

I will say that the cookie tracking is quite effective. I was able to visit a number of sites looking for a discount, and when I found a good one Bullguard still remembered which account I was actually trying to upgrade.

Good thing I found a discount, or the PayPal account wouldn't have had enough in it to cover the charge!

Forum Information

Currently it is Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 5:08 AM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,726 posts in 13,615 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,492 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, dragontattoo.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.