BullGuard quarantines explorer.exe?

Posted 8/1/2016 8:51 AM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
I was rather taken aback earlier this morning when a BullGuard pop-up message reported that explorer.exe had been quarantined as a suspect file - I'm running Windows 7 x64 (fully updated) and BIS 16.0.322.1 (latest) by the way. I immediately clicked the link to report it as a false positive, and on re-starting the PC was very relieved that explorer.exe was still in the Windows directory and did not appear to have been quarantined. It does however seem to have had the archive flag re-set. What's going on here?

Moreover, I have set BullGuard to block rather than quarantine suspect files, so why in any case was I getting a report that it had put a file into quarantine?
Posted 8/2/2016 3:12 PM

Advanced member

Hello and thank you for reporting this case.

Please send us your BullGuard Logs, so we can investigate and answer your questions. We will also know if you need to take any action.

To speculate a little, it's likely a Behavioral issue occurred. We will know more from the logs, but BullGuard should in any case leave your explorer.exe unaffected, even if something wants to run from it.

Also, you had the right reaction to report it as a false positive detection as it will be re-investigated.

Regards,
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 8/4/2016 9:25 AM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
Andreea,

Thanks, that's done - I await a response from Support with interest.

It might be a useful addition to BullGuard if specific files could be identified as 'trusted' by the user in the case of a false positive being flagged, to avoid them being reported again. I know that other AV programs do have such a facility.
Posted 8/5/2016 2:45 PM

Advanced member

I will take your feedback to our managers for consideration for future developments.
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 12:48 PM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,677 posts in 13,587 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,417 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Brian476.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.