Hrs

Min

Sec

firewall

Posted 4/21/2017 4:24 AM

dave1a Member

Date Joined Apr 2017
Total Posts: 1
I just wiped my pc as I wasnt happy with how it was running( Dell Optiplex 740 with a 5450 card amd 8650 3 cpu windows 10 pro) any way before I wiped the bullguard was ok but now the firewall is not displaying the allow once thing when it notifys me a program wants access to the internet and the manage rules section doesnt say ask anymore, and shows a see advanced windows rules thing / I have another pc with Bullguard on and that dont have the problem , has anyone any ideas whats wrong  , I am grateful for any help one last thing usually when I install the program the program asks me to restart the pc to enable the firewall  its not asking for that now
Posted 4/27/2017 11:32 AM

LeoK Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 19
What version of Bullguard are you running? If it is the latest version I think Bullguard is now using the Windows Firewall which is inbuilt in Windows 10.

I expected that Bullguard would inform customers of this change but am still awaiting their announcement.

I suggest you contact Bullguard support directly with this matter.

Cheers,

Leo K
Best regards,
Leo K.
Posted 4/28/2017 12:15 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 169
I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well, especially for Windows 7 users. BullGuard incorporated Agnitum Outpost as its firewall, but I see this product has now been discontinued and the company taken over by Yandex. I assume the Agnitum firewall is still in use as part of BIS, but wonder what the future strategy is?
Posted 4/28/2017 1:21 PM

LeoK Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 19
As per the latest update to BIS the Agnitum firewall is no longer part of the package.

This has been confirmed to me by Bullguard support and should be passed on to all users.

Cheers,

Leo K
Best regards,
Leo K.
Posted 4/28/2017 4:15 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
So I'm left wondering whether Bullguard are now using another third-party firewall, as Bullguard reports the firewall is on (and allows changes to be made in its settings), while Control Panel shows Windows Firewall to be switched off - this on my Windows 7 x64 PC?
Posted 4/28/2017 7:07 PM

lowe Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
The same situation here, Windows 10 x64. It is frustrating. We want information, please..... Maybe it is time to leave a BulGuard
Posted 5/2/2017 2:48 PM

Dafi Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 8
Hello,

I can confirm that we have indeed updated our Firewall and no longer use Agnitum. The new firewall is integrated in the application after version 17.0.332. At this time the automatic update was not launched and needs to be manually reinstalled in order to update to the version with the new firewall. The advanced settings in the BullGuard Firewall are now handled by the Windows Firewall. The application rules and activity logs are still displayed in the BullGuard application. 
Andrei Dafinoiu
Support Team Technician
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security 16

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 5/3/2017 4:20 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Dafi, I'm not entirely clear from your reply - are you saying that existing installations of BullGuard IS should be re-installed using the Ver. 17.0.332 installer (is that yet available to download? - it's not mentioned in the current Changelog), in order to remove the Agnitum firewall and make use of the Windows one; rather than the firewall change happening automatically through the normal update process? If so, how would most BullGuard users (those who don't visit this Forum) be aware that this procedure was necessary in order to stay current?

I would also comment that substitution of a good third-party firewall with the very basic built-in Windows one takes away one of the principal reasons for using (and paying extra for) BullGuard Internet Security as against AntiVirus - I think long-term users have good reason to feel unhappy at this move.

Posted 5/8/2017 11:15 AM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 674
Hello,

Firstly, users will be upgraded to the new Firewall through an update, but this will happen gradually, so we can help users with the transition and any questions regarding the new firewall.

Secondly, there are actually a lot of advantages the New Firewall brings:

- A light GUI on top of automatized processes

- Consumes considerably less resources than the previous version

- Less bugs

- Less false positives

- Easier configuration / easier support 

- In-house development means that we do not depend on any third party, which means faster response times for BUGs

The list can go on, but the summary is that we always strive to have a great product, if not the best. We will always consider the best interest of our customers first, so this is deffinetly a major step forward for us.

The program can be downloaded from our trial's page at any time: 

Internet Security: https://download.bullguard.com/BullGuardDownloader.exe

Premium Protection: https://download.bullguard.com/BullGuardDownloaderBPP.exe

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 5/18/2017 2:12 PM

CptDarling93 Member

Date Joined May 2017
Total Posts: 1
Hi

I've recently re-installed Bullguard internet security after renewell but my firewall will not activate, stating error 0x57 step 0

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Posted 5/19/2017 11:02 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Andreea, I note you say in your recent post "In-house development means that we do not depend on any third party". Does this imply that the new firewall is NOT the in-built Windows one, as suggested by others in earlier posts?
Posted 7/3/2017 10:05 AM

kjl Valued member

Date Joined Jul 2017
Total Posts: 14
In 1015 Agnitum was bought out by Yandex, this finished on feb. 2017.

This is the reason why BG pulled the Agnitum Outpost firewall.

Instead of relpacing it with someting of value, they gave us a gui over 

the windows firewall.

No this is not a true firewall as windows firewall can do the same without BG.

This pull should have been communicated through the program, email or 

media outlets.

I for one will be looking for another provider for a firewall option and not carring 

this product on subscription end.

The issue with the microsoft store, updates, xbox app and a list of other issues

thinking it had to a microsoft issue, days spent on this.
Posted 7/3/2017 2:16 PM

XLR8R Member

Date Joined Jun 2017
Total Posts: 9

Guys,

Please look through this thread: https://www.bullguard.com/forum/15/bullguard-firewall-and-windows_124578.html

BullGuard has replaced the Agnitum Firewall with a layer on top of Windows Firewall. The major firewall functionality is now handled by Windows Firewall, and BullGuard's firewall service only works as a control layer.

This component will get some features like IDS in near future. But it is not a proper firewall.

As such, BullGuard believes that this solution will serve users just as well. I personally feel fine with it.

But Windows is known for snooping, and Windows Firewall may or may not be sending your info home (especially with for e.g. Windows 10).

It's bad that BullGuard did not inform users in advance. However, the program still functions fine.

Rest of the decisions is up to you guys. :)

Posted 7/3/2017 8:49 PM

kjl Valued member

Date Joined Jul 2017
Adding a top layer over something that is built into the operating system is just piggybacking of 

of the microsoft firewall.

I have used the microsoft firewall  at times when it was needed as a stop messure when not having 

a 3rd party product; most of the time it work well.

But the issue seen here is that is that BG made a change to a lower form of protection, easy for BG,

bad for users.

Personal view, Microsoft had a hand in this, BG saved a lot of cash by not getting another high teir product.

Maby nothing compatable the bitdefender antivirus, so why not use bitdefenders firewall as an option;

too much for the licences  ????

Some may "feel comfortable with this change" I do not and the main reason, was due to the lack of information 

and quite way the did the change as if to be hidding it.

The last main issue is now I get windows and BG pop up messages about the same program within seconds of each other.

BG should have made  inttergration with the "new firewall" to work with windows firewall ; one exception from either

works for the other.
Posted 7/4/2017 5:52 PM

Hairymartin Valued member

Date Joined Jun 2017
Total Posts: 20
Even if customers are using Bullguard on Windows 10 they have been downgraded. From having one of the best firewalls on the market made by Agnitum to having to rely on the very basic, and user unfriendly, free Windows firewall that comes as part of the platform. Windows has never been the best at plugging their own machines, that is why everyone, who wanted more effective protection, went out and got a proper firewall for themselves. Why we all came to Bullguard to begin with was for the security it promised. Windows 10 firewall may be the best Windows has produced to date but that is a pretty low bar to beat. System intrusion and data theft have to be at least as big a concern as infection by viruses or malware. Without a firewall that can stop suspicious inward and outward bound traffic effectively, and be configured by ordinary users when needed, the customers defences are reduced.

Worse than this is that all Bullguard customers who are using versions of Windows older than 10 are left in an even more exposed position. In the information in the Bullguard brochure it states:

"Our highly potent firewall keeps out intruders. This first line of defense protects your computer from hackers and identity thieves. It also safeguards you against network attacks and stops cyber crooks from entering your system."

This needs to be reworded as it is very misleading. Given that Bullguard Tech Specs say it is suitable for:

"Windows® 10, 8, 7, Vista"

I'm not sure even Windows made such claims about their earlier firewalls. People with these earlier Windows version would already have learned not to trust the inbuilt firewalls and intalled various third party firewalls, or suites that included them. Now these customers are as exposed as they were before paying for Bullguard. You think, maybe, all the hackers and cyber criminals around the world are discussing the great news that tens of thousands of computer users just got rid of their firewalls and turned on the Windows one instead. I really dont see how Bullguard can call this good for business.

All of you customers out there using Windows 10 are collectively waiting to see if the latest windows firewall really is up to the job. Any customers with older versions of windows, like myself, already know ours probably isn't. That was why we came to Bullguard to begin with, or at least why I did.

The very least Bullguard could do for customers like myself is to recommend another, good quality, third party firewall. Something we can install along with Bullguard that would take over the job of the firewall completely. I would rather pay to have a good firewall back than to rely on the Windows 7 free one.

Posted 7/4/2017 11:25 PM

kjl Valued member

Date Joined Jul 2017
BG should have either replaced the firewall with a equel or higher level product.

Geing it gets the antivirus from Bitdefender, how hard would it have been to 

use the Bitdefender firewall ?????

This was just a cost saving steep for BG, rasing the subscription devices count  from 5 to 10

and increasing the cost, results= higher $$$$$$ profit.

This will also add to the number of tech. support calls to microsoft, dell, hp, asus etc. and more

revenu generated by it.

If this implementation of the firewall was known publicly, I would guess that 95% of people

shopping for or upgrading their sub. would have looked elsewhere.

Norton, kaspersky, zone alarm, bitdefender  are all looking like a great options.

Posted 7/16/2017 8:04 PM

dave1a Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 4
well I have never liked the windows firewall I feel its like a chocolate fireguard around the sun, turn  up the pressure and it melts  ,it simply is not strong enough and only offeres basic protection, I thought the version of firewall you were providing was very good and gave me the control I liked , like  the ask  and alow once feature I particulay liked but if you are not going to  change it back I may stop using Bullguard  because the firewall you gave us is just a rebranded windows firewall really, My old Grandmother had a saying " if its not broke you dont mend it " in other words  if it works okay leave it alone ! and it did work well, I have been a cusomer for 8 years  but may change when my subscription ends in a few months
Posted 9/28/2017 12:30 AM

jerry6 Valued member

Date Joined Sep 2017
Total Posts: 10
A
dave1a wrote: well I have never liked the windows firewall I feel its like a chocolate fireguard around the sun, turn  up the pressure and it melts  ,it simply is not strong enough and only offeres basic protection, I thought the version of firewall you were providing was very good and gave me the control I liked , like  the ask  and alow once feature I particulay liked but if you are not going to  change it back I may stop using Bullguard  because the firewall you gave us is just a rebranded windows firewall really, My old Grandmother had a saying " if its not broke you dont mend it " in other words  if it works okay leave it alone ! and it did work well, I have been a cusomer for 8 years  but may change when my subscription ends in a few months

Agreed , what would be a good firewall to use along with BG anti irus ? Winpatrol firewall , or Spyshelter ? I'm looking for something as Win 7 firewall has and is weak , not great .  Any other choices you know of ? I used Outpost for years ,  that was great , was my only [rotection for 3 years , never had a problem .
Posted 10/10/2017 9:03 PM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 674
I will answer this thread with my own personal input on the matter, because I stand by the decision the company made. I am making analogies because it's easier to explain and I think it's easier to understand by non computer literate users that may be reading this message.

No software can reinvent hardware and there are no major changes into how data travels from a device to another, to my knowledge.

A firewall is basically a bodyguard/security officer, asking "Data" for an ID, the purpose for it's visit, whom they are visiting and any other information that can be requested from "Data".

Now...there is a lot of "Data" in line at the door, so it would take forever for all the "Data" to pass all the checks. This is where the low level rules come into place. So, if "Data" has no ID, it won't ask it for anything else and turn it away. if "Data" has an ID, but doesn't know who it is that called it, again, it turns it away.

The new firewall, as stated previously, only uses the low level rules from Windows, which you will probably be shocked to learn are used by almost any firewall, only they are embedded into a driver. Why? Simply because there are no other rules you can miraculously make.  We stoped using the driver because it makes no sense to use it anymore. First of all, it's impossible to make a driver compatible with everything, unless you are Microsoft and have an army of developers. Second, Microsoft already did it and did a good job and it's embedded in Windows.

What BullGuard plans, is to make the Firewall smart. We're taking security to the next level. At the moment, the new firewall is at least just as good as the old one. However we are working on the next level which could not be implemented with the old firewall. Of course I can not divulge more at this time.

We have a mission which is to protect users from any malicious activity on the internet, while being as simple to use as possible. For the advanced users, I am sure a review of the new BullGuard version will show up soon, so you can get more technicalities from that.

Last but not least, please allow me to assure you that we appreciate dialogue and consider it in everything we do. 
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
www.bullguard.com

• Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 9:52 PM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,468 posts in 13,523 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 3 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,133 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, abyskaria.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.