Sky HD box causing Firewall Intrusion alerts

Posted 10/28/2017 2:14 PM

Gimgamgoo Member

Date Joined Oct 2017
Total Posts: 2
Hi,

Since a couple of days ago. Bullguard is reporting that an IP address (which is the one my wireless Sky HD box is on) is port scanning about 5 ports every 6 minutes on my PC.

I'd like to know if this is normal? Should a Sky HD box be port scanning my PC? It's only started reporting these in the last few days, but is regular every 6 minutes.

I just need to know if this is a standard wireless procedure that an update to Bullguard has now started to report, or if my Sky Box has started doing something differently.

The ports scanned seem to be 1900, 60366, 62826, 53221 and 56461.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted 10/30/2017 10:05 AM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 838
Hello and welcome to our forum!

It should only be required for you to add that as a trusted host.

1. Open the BullGuard program and click Settings from the top, then Advanced from the top.

2. Click Firewall and under it click Security.

3. On the right, click Configure... and in the Trusted Hosts, enter any IPs, separated by a comma (for example: 192.168.1.1, 192,168,1,10).

4. Press OK to confirm.

If that doesn't work as intended, please contact support so we can get your logs and investigate.
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 10/30/2017 12:04 PM

Gimgamgoo Member

Date Joined Oct 2017
Total Posts: 2
Thank you for the reply.

Those instructions will of course stop the intrusion alerts. My main worry was if this is a normal thing? Do devices such as Sky HD boxes carry out regular portscans?

I also have 3 mobile phones, 3 tablets, a PS4, another PC and a PS3 all on the same network using wireless, and I have never seen a portscan initiated by these devices. There is only this one PC wired to the router.

Before I 'allowed' the Sky HD box, I wanted to be certain it was not behaving in some malicious way.

Thanks.
Posted 11/2/2017 2:59 PM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 838
It is and isn't normal at the same time. It depends on how the device is designed to work.

All devices communicate with at least the gateway, when you first plug them. They need to be told what their IP is in the network at the very least. So when a device from the network does port scans, it's not unusual, as long as they are actually trying to do something with that port, like stream video for example, in which case they state other things to the gateway and to the controlling device (computer) such as which application they intend to connect to.

However, local port scanning is considered safe, as long as you identify which device that is and make sure the behavior is as designed. This is information available in the manual of the device or on the manufacturer website/forum/support documentation.
Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 8:12 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,838 posts in 13,651 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 2 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,583 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, TalonsFate.
There are currently no users on-line.

Just a minute

Privacy has never been so important.

Nearly 50% of online users are now using a VPN to protect their privacy.

Find out why

…and if it grabs you bag yourself a VPN bargain.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.