Spamfilter to be removed from BullGuard Internet Security 18

Posted 10/1/2017 4:01 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
I see from the release notes for BIS 18 that the Spamfilter is to be removed, on the grounds that "filtering junk emails has become a central feature of most email services". While this may be true for users of webmail services such as Gmail, there must be many BullGuard users who have email addresses linked to their own domain, where a spam filtering service may not be offered.

So for users such as myself, yet another useful feature of BullGuard Internet Security is being lost, following the recent removal of the separate firewall module. BIS and BAV seem to be becoming almost the same product, despite the premium charged for the former. Will the AV component be replaced with Windows Defender next? I for one will be looking very hard at the merits of renewing my BullGuard subscription when it expires.
Posted 10/2/2017 7:20 AM

jerry6 Valued member

Date Joined Sep 2017
Total Posts: 10
Agreed , looks like we are getting less with each upgrade
Posted 10/2/2017 8:17 PM

kjl Advanced member

Date Joined Jul 2017
Total Posts: 37
I use yahoo, gmail and outlook (win10 web mail)  so removel of said ablitys seems like another "lets make BG work better as per the firewall yet still see updates taking 

longer and longer to update.

I have 1 of 4 pc's now have game mode but other 3 nothing new.

Soon, all we will have is a BG logo and win10 everything.

Posted 10/26/2017 2:35 AM

MoJo Member

Date Joined Oct 2017
Total Posts: 1
Ask people what they find most irritating about the Internet, and you are almost guaranteed to hear a certain four-letter word: spam.

Turned my pc on yesterday and the Spam Filter is gone. It was one of the main reasons I've renewed my subscription every year.

Can Bullguard give me a reason to stick with them instead of moving to an internet security program with a spam filter?

Posted 10/27/2017 10:57 AM

Andreea-Luciana Ostache Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 808
Thank you for posting your feedback on this matter, as always, I have taken everything to our managers, for consideration.

@MoJo, Sadly, if the only reason you chose BullGuard as your security provider was the Spamfilter, then removing it is indeed a dealbreaker in your case, so first please allow me to personally apologize.

Spam and the entire e-mail system were initially built for internal use and have expanded outwards so fast that no one could catch up. However, e-mail providers have this as their main focus. They have the right tools and methods to start rebuilding the e-mailing system altogether. It's a task we can't help with and for a long time it was the reason we developed the Spamfilter. However, there has been a lot of improvement in this area, as most providers now enforce and use a lot of e-mail headers they can filter out Spam from non Spam messages:

Delivered-To, X-Google-Smtp-Source , X-Received , ARC-Seal, ARC-Message-Signature, ARC-Authentication-Results, Return-Path, Received-SPF, Authentication-Results, DKIM-Signature, DomainKey-Signature, From, Date, Subject, To, Reply-To, MIME-Version, X-mailer, Message-ID, X-Auto-Response-Suppress, List-Unsubscribe, List-ID, X-Delivery-Id, X-rpcampaign, Precedence

We are not saying Spam doesn't exist. We are saying that the tools available to users within the e-mail clients that exist today (Windows has always included a free mail program in the operating system, currtently this is Mail App, Thunderbird from Mozilla is free as well) and major e-mail providers already do a very good job of filtering out Spam, after they are properly set up.

For this purpose we have published a few guides to help our users:

https://www.bullguard.com/support/faq/other/how-do-i-configure-spam-settings-in-gmail-webmail.aspx

https://www.bullguard.com/support/faq/other/how-to-configure-spam-settings-in-yahoo-mail-webm.aspx

https://www.bullguard.com/support/faq/other/how-do-i-configure-spam-settings-in-microsoft-outl.aspx

https://www.bullguard.com/support/faq/other/how-do-i-configure-spam-settings-in-windows-live-m.aspx

We also have a tool which will export user current black and whitelists from BullGuard Spamfilter, so they can be imported into e-mail clients.

IMPORTANT: This tool only works if users did not reinstall BullGuard without keeping settings and needs to be obtained from support.

The direction BullGuard is headed in is the same as the direction Technology overall is going towards: a world where everything is connected.

This is why our focus is directed towards next generation protection, to ensure that no threat reaches not only your computer but all your devices, which is in our oppinion the main purpose of a security suite.

I am hoping that I was able to answer your question and again apologize if I omitted anything.

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 10/29/2017 5:42 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Meanwhile, somewhere in the world, two robots are having a debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1NxcRNW_Qk&t=1363

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 10/31/2017 6:40 PM

Bruno BOISSON Member

Date Joined Oct 2017
Hello,

You have decided to upgrade your product by removing certain parameters such as spamfilter. Your explanations are yours and do not justify this attitude. Suppliers do not guarantee spam filtering, and if they sometimes mention it, the result is so bad that you do not have to rely on it. I take note of your decision and inform you that I will not renew my licenses on the anniversary date.

cordially
Posted 11/1/2017 12:32 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
As I mentioned in my original post, not everyone uses web email services such as Gmail, so there is no assurance of spam being filtered until it reaches the end-user's email client.
Posted 11/1/2017 11:21 PM

DocM Member

Date Joined Nov 2017
I'm afraid I side with the other disgruntled customers - as one who has an independent web service this SpamFilter was a USP.  It's removal is a dealbreaker.  I'll be off too to another service provider who offers a quality service to valued customers.
Posted 11/2/2017 12:11 PM

EricW Member

Date Joined Nov 2017
Myself I can live without the Bullguard filter - but I'd very much have appreciated an e-mail notification that this was vanishing. As it was, it did so at the same time as Win10 upgraded and I spent quite some time chasing around for an upgrade error before an Internet search revealed the true picture.  <sigh>
Posted 11/2/2017 2:47 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
All users were notified of this, as it is normal, via e-mail, on the e-mail address they have registered as their username. 

We care about our users and the managers have been informed of the feedback from this forum. Thank you!

Andreea-Luciana Ostache
Support Team Leader
support@bullguard.com
www.bullguard.com

Posted 11/2/2017 3:21 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Bit of a cheap shot, but this:

https://www.bullguard.com/support/faq/other/does-the-spamfilter-protect-me-when-reading-my-ema.aspx

really needs removing from the BullGuard FAQ page.
Posted 11/3/2017 4:08 PM

MarkUK Member

Date Joined Nov 2017

I didn’t see a notification that this was to be removed mixed in with all your sales emails.

And it is not what I expected when I signed up to multiple years subscription.

Tied in and stitched up.

Cheers.

Posted 11/9/2017 11:29 PM

Paul_Commute Member

Date Joined Nov 2017
So I appear to be many months late to this party but am amazed that as a subscriber (since 2015) that I did not receive a notification from Bullguard that they were removing one of the most valuable features to me of Bullguard.  On opening email tonight I was drowned in Spam. After an exchange with online chat who said if I had original invoice I could have a refund (let's think about this - September 2015 purchase, no not going to happen) - oh yes and customers had a 60 day option on purchase for a refund, but a 2 years on from original purchase (and renewal) they can just quietly change the service (yes, I know it will be buring in the T&Cs somewhere that they can provide a less capable product at the same price).  Apparently product features are so good that people didn't want Bullguard Spam.  Interesting, I think I contracted for a full service including Spam filter - it didn't need maintaining, it just worked and was fully trained.  Outlook just doesn't catch Spam as effectively. Probably not waiting 404 days till subscription expiry to move to another product.  Just need to go hunting for that invoice.

Oh yes and website still has this: https://www.bullguard.com/support/product-guides/internet-security/guides-for-current-version/spamfilter/configure-e-mail-applications-guide.aspx
Posted 11/10/2017 2:45 PM

KayGee Member

Date Joined Nov 2017
Total Posts: 3
I am an IT consultant who has been using and recommending Bullguard for the last 3-4 years. Sadly I am no longer going to be recommending this product due to the removal of the spamfilter module. This is a ludicrous decision on your part and certainly will not increase your subscription rate. I cannot believe that your advisors/technical consultants thought this a good idea. as was said in previous posts, maybe browser based email was and is a popular method of email retreival, client based email is much more prevalent in the work environment. Bye Bye Bullguard as soon as subscriptions expire is all I can say....
Posted 12/28/2017 2:57 AM

kjl Advanced member

Date Joined Jul 2017
Total Posts: 37
I can say that the win10 spam filter is a joke.

Many junk emails get through and ones that should get spam'd out.

If I go to my outlook web mail many more messges are in both 

inbox and junk folder.

No, I never configured BG spam filter as seeing more things changing 

in too short of a time period.

As soon as we get a stable product, the BG team says ok its good now, lets pull

something to make things not work.

Kind of the way microsoft is going with windows 10.

So the backup function is getting cut, spam, firewall what next, wait can we pakage

windows secutity center-defender ?????? 
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Monday, December 16, 2019, 5:56 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,754 posts in 13,626 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 1 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,556 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, aniaaa.
There are currently no users on-line.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse, we are assuming that you have no objection in accepting cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.