With online shopping expected to almost double over the next few years, it’s vital that you are educated on how to navigate the shops of the world wide web safely. Cybercriminals are ramping up their scams, and while it’s easy to get distracted by the multitude of options and deals it’s even easier to forget about the risks of sharing personal information online.
As we embark on the season of holiday shopping, you need to be shopping online, smarter and safer.
How to shop safely this holiday season:
Avoid the crowds, traffic and those nasty cybercrooks. Follow these tips to shop from the safety of your home, and get those presents delivered straight under your tree! Happy shopping!
- Only shop on secure sites. Look at the web address of the page that asks for your credit details – it should start with “https” and not “http”.
- Don’t save personal info on sites, even those that you shopn on often.
- Update your browser, this combined with your internet security suite will help protect you from the latest phishing and malware attacks.
- Avoid shopping on WiFi Hotspots, you never know who may be using the network with you.
- Never email your private information to anyone.
- Consider getting a credit card with a low limit specifically for online purchases.
- Keep receipts and reference numbers, you can usually have these emailed to you.
- Double check your credit card statements against your receipts.
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t fall for suspect offers – you won’t get that promised free iPad.
- Ensure you have complete security on your PC to protect you from phishing attacks, identity thieves and hackers that can breach into your system and steal your personal data (credit card details etc.). Just get BullGuard Internet Security 2013 to surf the web in full safety, thanks to its Safe Browsing feature, and turn on that BullGuard Firewall to keep hackers and crackers out.